Optiver’s legal team is looking for a Legal Counsel to work closely with our General Counsel, management team, and business teams. The Legal Counsel will be an integral part of our small legal team advising business stakeholders to help drive new business initiatives in a fast-paced, high-stakes environment. They’ll be Optiver’s subject matter expert providing legal advice and thoughtful solutions in areas such as securities and commodities laws/regulations, corporate law and governance, vendor agreements, employment law, real estate, policy development and implementation, and litigation management.
What you’ll do:
- Counsel and provide practical solutions to address business and legal risks in areas related to regulatory matters (in the US, EU and UK), corporate matters, commercial transactions, employment and benefits.
- Partner with business teams to provide strategic legal advice for new business opportunities.
- Develop and support internal controls.
- Negotiate, prepare, and review commercial agreements and advise business teams on the same.
- Partner with business teams to create internal policies.
- Lead training programs empowering teams to use best practices regarding contract negotiation, privacy law, and employment law matters.
- Provide ethical leadership and sound judgment.
What you’ll need:
- A Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school and admittance in good standing in Illinois.
- 4+ years of relevant experience is required, with at least 2+ at a law firm or private practice.
- A client-first and outcome/solutions focused philosophy for providing legal services.
- Experience representing clients in the financial services industry. Proprietary trading industry is a plus.
- Experience with the Securities Exchange Act (’34 Act) and related SEC, FINRA and exchange rules, and/or the Commodity Exchange Act and related CFTC, NFA and exchange rules.
- Experience with the UK Financial Services and Markets Act and related FCA rules, and the rules of US-based exchanges and clearinghouses is a plus.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently communicate with business stakeholders.
- Strong project management skills and ability to drive business initiatives forward.
- The desire to learn new practice areas quickly, and confidently advise the business.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Outlook, Adobe, LexisNexis (and similar legal research products) required. Proficiency with Salesforce and Confluence/JIRA is a plus.
- Regular attendance in the office M-F from 8am to 5pm, with flexibility to work other times as needed.
Who we are:
Optiver is a leading proprietary trading firm using technology to provide the most up-to-date and competitive prices in financial products around the world. Put simply, we improve the markets. Achieving this requires excellence in everything we do. That’s not merely an aspiration, but our reason for being.
We’re seeking people who up the ante with nerve, with guts and, most importantly, with heart. We’re looking for the bold. Does that describe you? Then opt in.