cleverbridge provides global commerce, billing and payment solutions for leading digital goods, services and SaaS companies in many different industries. Customer relationships are at the heart of our business. Our customers grow their digital businesses by building long-term relationships with their customers, thereby maximizing global recurring revenue.
We are seeking an experienced, business-minded Legal Counsel to join our growing Legal team. The position is based in our downtown Chicago office, reporting to our U.S. General Counsel.
You will participate in the contract negotiations for some of our most important and complex agreements, with a focus on executing agreements with new customers. You need to be able to assess the legal and compliance risks of a transaction while also understanding how to mitigate these risks with a long-term and strategic mindset. You will also be advising on matters relating to product development, business strategy, and U.S. operations.
The ideal candidate has strong ethical and business judgment and several years of experience in negotiating technology transactions. cleverbridge provides a fun and casual working environment, and we seek a people person with a sense of ownership in the company and the ability to roll up their sleeves. Prior in-house experience at a tech company is strongly preferred.
- Lead the drafting and negotiation of a wide range of complex commercial agreements, including direct negotiations with customers
- Respond promptly to contracting requests from internal stakeholders
- Work on cross-functional teams dedicated to strategic procurement activities
- Constantly explore opportunities to improve efficiencies in our sales and contracting processes and to enhance the experience of prospective customers and partners
- Perform research on data protection, ecommerce, and tech law issues and apply your knowledge in these areas to our commercial contracts and product development activities
- Distill complex legal matters into succinct guidance for senior business leaders
- Develop and refine policies, templates, and other tools to improve efficiencies within the legal department
Your Qualifications and Skills
- J.D. from ABA-accredited law school (graduated in the top 20 percent) and member in good standing of at least one State Bar (Illinois preferred)
- 3-6 years of substantive contract drafting and negotiating experience (Outsourcing, financial services, or SaaS contracting experience preferred); experience working with an international team preferred, proficiency in a second language is a plus
- Sound understanding of the U.S. and international e-commerce and data privacy laws
- Positive, collaborative attitude and willingness to work on routine as well as non-standard transactions
- Sharp business judgment and instincts, with an ability to advise quickly on business terms
- Exceptional writing, communication, and analytical skills with attention to detail
- Proven ability to efficiently manage multiple concurrent transactions
- Ability to multitask and prioritize under pressure
What we offer
We are offering a challenging and interesting opportunity with extensive responsibilities in a dynamic and fast growing company. Benefits include a generous 401(k) plan, flexible hours, health care, tax-free transit and more!
More about us
Founded in 2005, cleverbridge provides global subscription billing solutions that help companies build long-term customer relationships and grow recurring revenue streams. The core of our fast-growing technology company is our 300+ employees between offices in Cologne (Germany), Chicago, San Francisco, and Tokyo. Our diverse and talented workforce is passionate about our solutions and our clients’ success. We believe if you love what you do, you should love where you work. So we emphasize career progression, work-life balance, and a casual, contemporary work environment.