Legal Specialist at Smokeball
Who We Are:
Recently named one of Inc. Magazine’s 2018 Best Workplaces, Smokeball was founded by technology leaders with more than 20 years of experience in delivering impactful legal technology products. Our leadership continually strives to develop a company, culture, and team that share a profound love for the law and are compelled to help small law firms find success. Our mission isn’t simple, but it is straightforward: help small law firms be successful businesses so that they can better serve our communities.
What We Need:
We are seeking legal minds who have knowledge of Business, Civil Litigation, Estate Planning, Family, Guardianship, Personal Injury, Probate, Real Estate, or Workers’ Compensation to help provide the materials that makes our legal software the best around. In this position, you’ll use your expertise of the industry to design practice-area specific functionality in our program and to create various automated forms and letters for our clients that help make their lawyerly lives easier. Over the course of a week, your responsibilities could include:
- Establishing positive relationships with clients in order to understand their needs, assess their requests, and communicate potential changes.
- Automating and maintaining Court & Authority documents as well as our clients’ proprietary letters, pleadings, and other forms.
- Researching the parties, key dates, and important information that small law firms need to enter into documents to run matters in different areas of law.
- Designing and building new practice-area-specific screens and functionality that our clients need to run their cases
- Acting as a subject matter expert with the Smokeball product and its new features.
*This position is not currently available; however, this team is growing and we're looking to build our pipeline with great candidates.
Who You Are:
Company culture is the single most important ingredient to our success at Smokeball. Our core values hang on our walls, are listed in our handbook, and are discussed regularly. Our office thrives on positive feedback from our clients and team members alike and we really, really love small love firms. As a member of the team, it is expected that you will care for your colleagues and our clients from day one and that you will work hard to identify areas we can improve in both aspects. We expect open communication, an open mind, and mad ping-pong skills (okay, not a requirement but definitely a plus).
What You Bring:
- 2+ years of experience in at least one of the following areas of law required: Business, Civil Litigation, Estate Planning, Family, Guardianship, Personal Injury, Probate, Real Estate, or Workers’ Compensation
- 2+ years working in a law firm required
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Skilled at researching legal issues and preparing legal documents, including pleadings, letters, and Court/Authority forms
- Expertise with Microsoft Word
- Proficiency with or exposure to one or more of the following document automation tools: Hot Docs, Active Docs, Exari, iManage, Pathagoras, Pro Docs, The Form Tool, The Form Builder
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proactive mindset; looks to find solutions to problems instead of just reacting to them
- Culture: Named one of Inc. Magazine’s 2018 Best Workplaces
- Work-Life Balance: 20 vacation days, 6 sick days, 10 paid holidays, birthday off, volunteer time
- Benefits: 401(k) match, gym reimbursement, generous parental leave, WFH opportunities, etc.
- Massages: Free monthly massages provided by a licensed massage therapist
- Kitchens: Stocked with breakfast items, snacks, and beverages
- Happy Hours: Both in the office and at fun bars in the area
- Games: Ping-pong, billiards, pop-a-shot, board games, video games, etc.
- Transit: We’re located in downtown Chicago
*Smokeball is an equal opportunity employer