The Legal department has grown alongside the business and we're looking for the next addition to our team, who will provide regulatory counsel to our product and engineering teams to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements for new product features, applications and initiatives globally and from a specifically US perspective.
As Product Regulatory Counsel, you’ll join a small and mighty global team and report to the General Counsel. You will partner with product managers, engineers, senior Product and Engineering leadership teams and your colleagues across the global legal department to provide timely regulatory expertise to the Product team. You will also support major business teams execute on their expansion roadmaps from a commercial and technology perspective in compliance with applicable regulatory regimes.
This role is a great opportunity for someone with a passion for technology, excellent problem-solving skills and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment that requires cross-functional collaboration across the legal and business teams.You will:
Review all new products and features:
- Provide counsel on regulatory requirements for all new product features and applications prior to launch-to-market
Support Major Business Units Execute on Commercial and Product Expansion Roadmaps:
- Provide regulatory counsel to Ocean, Air and/or Customs business teams
- Review transportation contracts for the ocean, air and/or customs business teams (ocean carrier contracts, air charter contracts, various customs and trade advisory vendors and partners)
- Work closely with Flexport's Global Compliance Team to create appropriate compliance policies and procedures, as we expand and scale our business
- JD and bar admission to practice
- Minimum 5+ years of experience in transportation regulatory counsel in the US (in all or some of the following areas: FMC/maritime law, US customs law, aviation)
- In-house experience
- Experience counseling on trade regulations as it pertains to product legal issues for technology/product/engineering teams in-house is a major plus
- Experience working with international teams in various time zones in a cross-functional environment
- Impeccable written and oral communication skills, and high attention to detail, with excellent legal and business judgment
- The ability to work on your own and prioritize multiple (often competing) deliverables while managing expectations and meeting deadlines
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to coordinate effectively and gain trust and confidence with personnel at many different levels
- The ability to work as a team player of the legal department in a scalable, autonomous and accountable manner, demonstrating flexibility across different types of projects and time zones
- The ability to interact with internal clients & colleagues as well as while addressing complex issues in an accurate, clear, and thorough manner
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 116 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
Don’t be! Many of us were once in your shoes.
Global trade is an infinitely fascinating but highly complex industry, where purchasing decisions are made every day rather than on an annually recurring basis. Don’t worry, you won’t need to become the world’s expert on ocean freight (we already hired that guy). We’ll look to you to apply your deep understanding of our key audiences, the funnel, and how to meet a digitally connected audience where they are.
It’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move this industry forward. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.