Avant is dedicated to building premier digital banking solutions for the middle class through a combination of technology, analytics and superior customer service. Since 2012, Avant has connected over one million customers to $6.5 billion in loans and to 200,000 credit cards. A high growth financial technology company, Avant has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, TechCrunch, Fortune, Bloomberg, and has raised over $600 million of equity capital. Visit www.avant.com for more information.
Do you have experience working in regulatory compliance and want to help enhance and build compliance processes at a FinTech company?
Avant is looking for a motivated self-starter to join its growing Compliance Department in Chicago. As a Regulatory Compliance Attorney, you will be responsible for participating in Avant’s Compliance Program, specifically in the areas of Fair & Responsible Lending, Regulatory Readiness and Oversight, Licensing, and Regulatory Examinations & Audits.
You will help support multiple products that include Unsecured Loans, Credit Cards, Secured Loans, and Point of Sale Loans offered through the Avant platform. Your job will be to provide guidance and ensure regulatory compliance with respect to new laws, rules, regulatory guidance, and regulatory risk trends as well as building processes for seamless relations with state regulators and bank partners.
In this role, you are expected to maintain a high degree of knowledge of consumer lending rules and regulations, including, but not limited to:
-TILA/Reg Z, ECOA/Reg B & Fair Lending, UDAAP/UDAP, FCRA/Reg V, SCRA, MLA, EFTA/Reg E, TCPA, E-SIGN, FDCPA/Reg F & state debt collection laws, GLBA/Reg P and other privacy laws, BSA, OFAC, Red Flags Rule, and other AML related regulations, as well as applicable state laws and regulations.
As a Compliance Associate, you will be expected to promote a culture of corporate compliance by the use of best practices and a compliant work ethic in accordance with Avant’s internal policies.
What you do at Avant:
- Regulatory Readiness & Oversight: manage the intake, analysis, and change management of changes made to applicable laws, rules, and regulations
- Monitoring industry enforcement actions, consent orders, and other applicable litigation to observe risk trends and provide guidance to the business based on such trends.
- Socializing regulatory changes impacting Avant to applicable stakeholders
- Assist in implementing regulatory changes that impact Avant and working directly with business stakeholders
- Have the ability to multitask and complete various tasks related to licensing initiatives, including analysis of applicable state laws and regulations
- Working with internal and external counsel and compliance management as it relates to analysis of business licenses
- Prioritize tasks for the Department and schedule meetings, maintain minutes of meetings and create task lists
- Assisting in building the Fair & Responsible Lending Program
- Assisting with responding to inquiries from regulators
- Assisting with regulatory audits which may involve working with bank partners and vendors
What you will own at Avant:
- Regulatory Readiness, Oversight, & Change Management Program: be responsible for building and owning this program which intakes, analyzes, and drives regulatory changes that impact Avant.
- Building a database of applicable state laws and regulations
- Compliance reporting for as it relates to regulatory changes
Why you are a fit for Avant:
- Juris Doctor from an ABA accredited law school
- CRCM Preferred
- 2-4+ years of law firm/ in-house experience or regulatory compliance experience
- Bank or FinTech experience preferred
- Strong background in federal and state consumer finance laws
- Excellent communication skills and a track record of being able to interface and collaborate effectively with other departments, bank partners, and regulators
- Ability to handle and execute on complex projects in a fast paced environment with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, and problem-solving skills Highly proficient with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Experience with SQL is a plus
- Willingness to learn new skills and monitor aptitude development to optimize accuracy and performance
Why Avant is a fit for you:
At Avant, we believe our values make a difference:
We value, support, and help each other grow
We are committed to active inclusion and diversity
We are transparent and believe the best idea wins
We succeed when our customers succeed
We get sh!t done… responsibly
And we keep it fun!
We believe that ideas are more important than titles, everything is more fun together, everyone drives change, and everyone is an owner. While we believe the perks and benefits that we offer are terrific, nothing excites us more than having the ability to collaborate with intelligent, highly-motivated and talented people on challenging problems as we work to change the face of online lending.
Avant is an equal opportunity employer and individuals seeking employment are considered without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation or gender identity), age, disability or genetic information or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local law, regulation or ordinance.