Regulatory & Government Affairs Manager
About Green Thumb Industries:
Green Thumb Industries (GTI), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, is dedicated to providing dignified access to cannabis while giving back to the communities in which they serve. GTI manufactures and distributes a portfolio of branded cannabis products including Rythm, Dogwalkers, The Feel Collection, incredibles and Beboe, among others. The company also owns and operates rapidly growing national retail cannabis stores called Rise™ and Essence. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, GTI has 13 manufacturing facilities, licenses for 95 retail locations and operations across 12 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, GTI employs approximately 1,200 people and serves thousands of patients and customers each year. GTI was named a Best Workplace 2018 by Crain’s Chicago Business. More information is available at GTIgrows.com.
About the Role:
The Regulatory and Government Affairs Manager provides legislative and advocacy administrative support to GTI. The cannabis landscape continues to change and evolve, and this role is a key function of understanding emerging and changing legislation working directly with GTI executives. In this role, you will be responsible for performing administrative, legislative and advocacy related activities across a range of issues of interest to GTI, including legislative research, drafting legislative summaries, developing and implementing advocacy strategies, tracking and reporting on strategic objectives, navigating the regulatory landscape externally and assisting with the development and use of advocacy materials. If the idea of reading through hundreds of pages of legislation and creating briefs excites you, have a passion for cannabis, and love the legislative process this is a role for you.
- Monitor, research and analyze proposed legislative and regulatory developments and how they impact GTI
- Prepare and present verbal and written status updates on legislative, regulatory and policy developments and position papers to internal stakeholders
- Assist with the development of legislative materials
- Cover legislative hearings
- Attend and report back on briefings and meetings, as well as other industry activities
- Develop and analyze written communications
- Summarize proposed changes to regulations
- Draft correspondence to elected officials and government agencies
- Draft periodic government affairs reports
- Provide support of external advocacy-related events, such as lobby days
- Manage lobbying disclosure compliance requirements
- Assist with event scheduling and coordination, as needed
- Work on additional special projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required; Public Policy, Political Science, English or Communications degree preferred; Advanced Degree preferred
- 4+ years’ experience working in public policy or government affairs and familiarity with the legislative and regulatory process
- 2+ year experience in a legislative environment preferred
- Experience navigating Illinois local and state legislature
- Excellent planning, organizational and project management skills
- Exceptional written, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Highly motivated, self-directed, innovative and able to work independently or among teams with keen judgement, common sense and resourcefulness
- Adapts and thrives in a demanding, start-up, fast-paced environment
- Possesses a high level of critical thinking
- Operates with a high level of professionalism and integrity, including dealing with confidential information
- Must understand and comply with the rules, regulations, policies, & procedures of GTI
- Must have a solid understanding of the Medical Marijuana laws, rules and regulations and passion to further their understanding and knowledge of the industry and the laws.
- Must pass any and all required background checks
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
At GTI we believe that our corporate community should be a reflection of the communities we serve. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive culture that celebrates diversity across race, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, religion, experience, and thought—not only because it is right, but because it makes us better. Our mission—the right to wellness—informs our commitment to champion economic opportunities in communities disproportionately affected by the war on drugs through employment and community involvement. GTI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We can't wait to meet you.
Read Full Job Description