Senior Counsel, Commercial
Green Thumb Industries (GTI), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, is dedicated to providing dignified access to safe and effective cannabis while giving back to the communities in which they serve. As a vertically integrated company, GTI manufactures and sells a well-rounded suite of branded cannabis products including flower, concentrates, edibles, and topicals. The company also owns and operates a rapidly growing national chain of retail cannabis stores called RISE™. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, GTI has 11 manufacturing facilities, licenses for 72 retail locations and operations across 12 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, GTI employs approximately 600 people and serves thousands of patients and customers each year. GTI was named a Best Workplace 2018 by Crain’s Chicago Business. More information is available at GTIgrows.com.
- Work on and negotiate transactional documents such as: vendor agreements, supply agreements, technology agreements, NDAs, LOIs, and licensing agreements.
- Work on real estate transactions, including lease transactions, purchase/divestiture transactions, development deals and all other aspects of GTI’s real estate needs.
- Support packaging and marketing clearance to ensure labeling requirements are satisfied and review of claim substantiation for GTI’s marketing department.
- Develop form documents to increase in-house efficiencies.
- Manage and oversee our compliance with all dates and deadlines in our commercial documents.
- Ensure that our commercial documents are consistent and protective of GTI.
- Work with other members as of the legal department as needed to the extent their work requires commercial contracting support.
- Advise internal business clients on contracting best practices and provide training as needed.
- Maintain GTI’s website and mobile Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policies so that they are always consistent with the law and protective of GTI.
- Review and provide clearance for marketing efforts and, from time to time, help manage GTI’s brand protection and other IP efforts.
- Manage outside counsel to ensure high-quality legal services in a fair economic value for GTI.
- This role will report in to a member of the legal department leadership team.
- 5-10 years of legal experience working on commercial matters, including some experience with a nationally-recognized law firm.
- Maintain an active license to practice law in IL or satisfy the requirements of Illinois Supreme Court Rule 716
- Strong negotiation and drafting skills.
- Skilled at explaining legal needs and strategies to a non-legal audience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills so that you can inspire others and help us build a positive and inclusive work environment. You work well within a team, knowing when and how to keep senior members of the legal team informed on matters of importance, and treating everyone with respect.
- You possess superior legal skills and the ability to make clear, well-reasoned legal decisions that advance the business interests. Must be pragmatic in approach, with a good business mind, fully aware of the business consequences of legal advice. Must be a strategic and innovative thinker.
- Must be able to identify and solve critical issues.
- Must be a strong project manager, able to prioritize and manage a large volume of concurrent projects at the same time.
- You are willing to learn new skills and take on new projects, and you can work and succeed in a fast-paced work environment.
- You are technologically savvy and want to know more about technology and the law and are willing to identify and adopt new technologies that will help the legal department increase efficiency and accountability.
- You stay current on trends in the law so that you can provide the company with timely and cutting-edge legal advice, and so you can identify issues GTI should address in its commercial arrangements to minimize future risks.
We can't wait to meet you!
Read Full Job Description