Senior Counsel, Corporate and Transactions
About Guaranteed Rate:
Guaranteed Rate is eighth largest retail mortgage lender in the U.S. The company has become The Home Purchase Experts® by offering industry-leading self-service tools and low rate, low fee mortgages through an easy-to-understand process and unparalleled customer service. Headquartered in Chicago with approximately 4,000+ employees in 300+ offices across the U.S. and licensed in all 50 states, Guaranteed Rate has helped hundreds of thousands of homeowners with more than $20 billion in home purchase loans and refinances in the past year.
Guaranteed Rate is building a winning team to reinvent the mortgage experience through innovation, technology and a relentless focus on providing industry-leading mortgage products and superlative customer service. The Senior Counsel will embrace and support these efforts by assisting with corporate legal matters and drafting and negotiating key agreements that further these objectives while effectively managing risk. The ideal candidate will be able to work independently, solve problems creatively, prioritize relentlessly, exercise business judgment soundly, and operate with a sense of urgency to get things done. The Senior Counsel must be sufficiently experienced and ready to quickly assume responsibility for key corporate and transactional matters on day 1. The Senior Counsel will work closely with leadership and support all levels of management.
- Manage or support critical transactions, including drafting and negotiating agreements related to mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity investments, and warehouse lines and other debt facilities.
- Draft and negotiate agreements related to mortgage lending and servicing operations, including mortgage servicing rights (MSR) sales, mortgage loan correspondent and broker relationships and other capital markets activities.
- Draft and negotiate commercial agreements, including lease agreements, vendor agreements, license agreements, marketing contracts, master service agreements, consulting agreements, letters of intent, and non-disclosure agreements.
- Assist with securities and corporate governance matters, including preparation of Board materials, drafting minutes and resolutions, advising on legal and contractual obligations to key investors, executive compensation, and managing the Company’s and its subsidiaries’ organizational documents.
- Regularly advise business stakeholders and members of the legal department on subject matter related to areas of responsibility and the Company’s obligations under various agreements.
- Flag and escalate appropriate matters to other subject matter experts in the legal department, including the litigation and regulatory compliance teams.
- Provide training to internal clients on contracts and other key legal matters.
- Negotiate and resolve pre-litigation contract disputes.
- At least 4- 5 years of significant experience in contract drafting, negotiation and review, with preference for corporate, securities, finance and/or real estate experience.
- Prior financial services industry experience, especially mortgage transactions and regulatory experience, a significant advantage.
- Strong project management skills and ability to complete projects with minimal supervision under tight timelines.
- Can-do “roll up your sleeves” mindset.
- Sound business judgment and ability to strike right balance between legal risks and business goals.
- Willingness to learn the business and build strong relationships with internal stakeholders.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Self-motivated with strong work ethic.
- Clear, concise and persuasive oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and cross functionally with a customer service mindset.
- Proven track record of multi-tasking and working under a heavy workload with changing priorities.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Resilient with a sense of humor.
- Prior in-house counsel experience a plus.
- J.D. degree from an ABA-approved law school.
- Licensed to practice law in at least one state and must be or be able to become licensed in Illinois. Illinois bar members preferred.
Guaranteed Rate is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, sex, religion, color, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reason, as protected by law.