Senior Cousel (In- House Litigation) at Guaranteed Rate
About Guaranteed Rate:
The Guaranteed Rate Companies, which include Guaranteed Rate Inc. and Guaranteed Rate Affinity, LLC, have nearly 6,000 employees in a total of 700 offices across the U.S and funded $37 billion in 2019. Headquartered in Chicago, Guaranteed Rate, Inc. is one of the largest retail mortgage lenders in the United States. Founded in 2000 and licensed in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., it has helped homeowners nationwide with home purchase loans and refinances. The company has established itself as an industry leader by introducing innovative technology, offering low rates and delivering unparalleled customer service. 2017 marked the launch of Guaranteed Rate Affinity, LLC, a mortgage origination joint venture between Guaranteed Rate, Inc. and Realogy Holdings Corp. (NYSE: RLGY), a global leader in residential real estate franchising and brokerage. Collectively, the companies have earned honors and awards including: "Top Lender for Online Service" for 2018 by U.S. News & World Report; No. 3 ranking in Scotsman Guide's Top Retail Mortgage Lenders 2018; Chicago Tribune's Top Workplaces list for seven consecutive years; and Best Online Lender and Best Lender for FHA Streamline Refinance by NerdWallet in 2019. Visit rate.com for more information.
Guaranteed Rate is building a winning team to reinvent the mortgage experience through innovation, technology and a relentless focus on providing industry-leading mortgage products and superlative customer service. You will embrace and support these efforts by working to pursue claims and resolve disputes as appropriate through negotiation, arbitration or litigation. This is not a traditional in-house litigation management role. The Company’s litigation team regularly handles a wide-variety of litigation matters with little to no outside counsel involvement. The ideal candidate will be ready to litigate on Day 1 and able to work independently, solve problems creatively, prioritize relentlessly, exercise business judgment soundly, and operate with a sense of urgency to get things done. Accordingly, you must be sufficiently experienced and ready to quickly assume responsibility for litigation matters. You will work closely with leadership and support all levels of management.
- Conduct legal research and draft memos, position statements, complaints, answers, briefs, motions and other litigation and arbitration filings.
- Represent the Company in hearings, administrative proceedings, arbitrations, litigation and settlement negotiations.
- Handle all aspects of discovery, including drafting and responding to discovery requests, collecting and reviewing documents, and taking and defending depositions.
- Draft and respond to cease and desist letters, demand letters and subpoenas.
- Negotiate and resolve pre-litigation disputes.
- Conduct internal investigations as appropriate.
- Engage and manage outside counsel for required expertise and more complex litigation matters.
- Flag and escalate appropriate matters to other subject matter experts in the legal department, including the regulatory compliance team.
- Handle other legal matters as assigned by management.
- At least 6 years of hands-on litigation experience, including court room and arbitration experience.
- Experience regularly appearing before various administrative agencies a plus.
- Experience with employment and collection matters strongly preferred.
- Prior financial services or real estate industry experience, especially mortgage transactions and regulatory experience, a significant advantage.
- Positive, team-first attitude.
- Can-do “roll up your sleeves” mindset.
- Willingness to learn the business and build strong relationships with internal stakeholders.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Self-motivated with strong work ethic, tenacious personality and intense desire to win.
- Clear, concise and persuasive oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work constructively, collaboratively and cross functionally.
- Proven track record of multi-tasking and working under a heavy workload with changing priorities.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Resilient with a sense of humor.
- J.D. degree from an ABA-approved law school.
- Licensed to practice law in Illinois. Bar memberships in additional states is preferred.
For additional information please reach out to:
Director of Executive Search
773 – 435 -7969
Guaranteed Rate is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, sex, religion, color, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reason protected by law. #LI-CD1