Senior Regulatory and Product Counsel at Collective Health
We all depend on healthcare throughout our lifetimes, for ourselves, and our families and friends, but it is notoriously difficult to navigate and understand. As an industry that comprises 20% of the US economy we think healthcare should work better for all of us. At Collective Health we believe it’s time for a new day in healthcare where as members we are informed and empowered to make the right care choices when the decisions are urgent and critical.
Want to change the world? So do we! With a mission to reinvent U.S. healthcare, Collective Health provides the ideal workplace for a passionate, team-oriented regulatory attorney to make an enormous impact at a fast-growing technology company that supports health and welfare plans for U.S. employers and their people.
If you’re team-oriented, inquisitive, proactive, and interested in making big impacts in a highly regulated space, this role is perfect for you. You’ll help address the company’s—and some of our industry’s—most complex and novel legal challenges.
While we are embracing a remote-flexible work week, employees are expected to be within commuting distance of an office. The frequency of in-office days will be determined on a team-by-team basis closer to the reopening of our offices.
In this role you will:
- Provide cutting edge legal analysis to navigate the complex regulatory environment for healthcare and technology companies in the United States. You will be the company's expert in matters including ERISA, HIPAA ACA, ADA, Consolidated Appropriations Act, Price Transparency regulations, and state Corporate Practice of Medicine laws, and will contribute in adjacent areas including intellectual property, open source, and antitrust.
- Work side by side with business and product teams to understand and achieve business objectives and develop world-class product and service offerings within the regulatory environment.
- Partner with the privacy, risk and compliance team to ensure that our products and services treat data with care and respect and with our commercial legal team to ensure that transactions properly reflect regulatory and product considerations.
- Build exceptional relationships at all levels of the company because you’re accessible, approachable, engaged, proactive, informed, and practical.
- Describe the effect of new rules and regulations in a clear, digestible, jargon-free way that non-lawyers can understand and apply.
- Manage, reduce, or eliminate risk in business-sensitive ways that make us both more compliant and efficient.
- Develop and drive practical, informed strategies for litigation and regulatory actions.
- Become an outstanding representative of the company to clients, brokers, regulators, trade associations, and other companies within your areas of responsibility and expertise.
- Use your regulatory experience and practical know-how to guide operations and product development teams on service level agreements, terms of service, and new and existing business arrangements.
- Keep business and legal teams informed about timely current and emerging healthcare legislation and regulation at state and national levels.
- Supervise and partner with outside counsel to ensure that the company’s representation is of the highest quality, relevance, practicality, and cost effectiveness.
- Educate and train internal business teams about best practices for crafting clear and compliant communications.
- Mentor, develop, and recruit a highly effective, motivated, well-informed regulatory and product legal team.
- Act as a trusted, reliable, proactive partner to leaders at all levels of the company.
If these apply to you, we’d love to talk:
- Depending on your office location, a current license to practice law in California, Illinois, or Utah; or eligibility to register as in-house counsel in California, Illinois, or Utah per local rules. You may also need to obtain pro hac vice admission where required by applicable law. We cannot assist with relocation.
- Seven or more years of legal practice with relevant experience at a government agency, healthcare organization, and/or high-growth company.
- Strong experience in healthcare with a strong practical understanding of ERISA, the ACA, and HIPAA. Exceptional written and verbal communication skills (including with clients at all levels of the company), a bias toward cross-functional teamwork, and unimpeachable personal integrity and judgment.
- You’re an inspired and inspiring leader with exceptional management skills, including the ability to recruit, retain, and grow legal talent.
- You build and maintain trusted relationships and don’t feel intimidated by contrary points of view.
- You take a business-friendly, entrepreneurial approach to your work with the ability to organize, triage, and handle competing priorities in a dynamic environment.
- You’re a creative problem solver, unintimidated by novel issues. You get things done.
- Comfort using project management and legal automation tools and related project/process management skills.
- Employment law, IP, and litigation experience are desirable.
- Who you are: An exceptional manager and leader who is service-oriented, a self-starter, collaborative, inquisitive, practical, well-organized, and a team player, with a thirst for work that matters and a role that makes a difference. You’re not intimidated by technology or by trying unfamiliar things and thrive in a dynamic startup environment; in fact, you relish opportunities to learn, both on the job and as a professional. You hold yourself to the highest ethical and professional standards.
Founded in 2013, Collective Health has created an ecosystem of innovative partners across care and benefits delivery, as well as built a powerful and flexible infrastructure to better enable employees and their families to understand, navigate, and pay for healthcare. By reducing the administrative lift of delivering health benefits, providing an intuitive member experience, and improving health outcomes, the company guides employees toward healthier lives and companies toward healthier bottom lines. Collective Health is headquartered in San Mateo, CA with locations in Chicago, IL, and Lehi, UT. For more information, please visit collectivehealth.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Collective Health is committed to providing support to candidates who require reasonable accommodation during the interview process. If you need assistance, please contact [email protected]
Please note that Collective Health requires all employees to verify receipt of a COVID-19 vaccination or to apply for an exemption from the vaccination requirement based on medical need, a sincerely held religious belief, or a local legal exemption. Candidates are not required to furnish such a verification or to seek an exemption from the verification requirement during the application process but would be asked to do so if they accept an offer.