Love doing transactional legal work but want to know your work has meaning? Passionate about making a difference and helping to make personalized medicine a reality through the use of data, AI, machine learning and laboratory testing?
Genomic sequencing permits us to decode and process our genetic makeup. We now have more data than ever before but health care providers don't have the infrastructure or expertise to make sense of this data. At Tempus, we are on a mission to build and connect systems to redefine how genomic data is used in clinical settings. We're looking to build a legal team that can support our ambitious business goals.
What Your Day to Day Will Look Like
- A LOT of transactional work. Drafting. Turning redlines. Negotiating. Explaining. Yes, a LOT of it. We mean it. Most of your day will be about cranking through a wide variety of agreements. That means Monday, Tuesday and all the other work days that end in the letter y and probably some days that aren’t usually thought of as work days, because, at Tempus, we are trying to help doctors who help patients. Put differently, if you don’t LOVE cranking through all kinds of agreements of various types, then this role is not for you, and you should not apply for it because you will not like it.
- The good news is that the agreements you will work on are interesting - you will quickly be drafting and negotiating everything from clinical and research related projects with health care providers, non-disclosure agreements, collaboration agreements, agreements with payers, projects with pharmaceutical companies, government entities and anyone else involved in healthcare, biotech and life sciences. You will also help with buy-side agreements and the normal day to day transactional work in a busy, rapidly growing company. Did we mention that it is a LOT of transactional work?
- To do transactional work well, you will work with Tempus various internal business units, including science, medical, technology, finance, communications, medical affairs and the sales team. You will have to get good -- quickly -- at assisting in evaluations of legal risk and opportunities with the projects they are engaged in. We move fast here, and you will need to move fast, too.
- You will also get a chance to grow and expand your skill set by assisting with other types of general legal work in a rapidly growing technology and health care company, including potentially working on matters involving intellectual property issues, employment and human resources matters, corporate, regulatory, and international issues.
- JD Degree from a top-tier law school
- At least 4 years of legal experience in a heavily transactional role - while we may have a future need for those with no relevant experience, you wont be considered for this role
- Current bar membership in at least one state; eligible for admission to Illinois bar
- Ability to work at a really fast pace
- Good judgment, including understanding how to properly evaluate and communicate legal risks in transactions
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Working knowledge of health care including major regulatory areas, such as HIPAA, Medicare and Medicaid payment issues, Stark regulation and other fraud and abuse issues, FDA regulation, etc.
- Energized by working in a high throughput, open work environment where you are continually multi-tasking and re-prioritizing your work to respond quickly and meet deadlines