VP, Legal at Sphera
Sphera is a leading global provider of enterprise software and services that enables companies to manage and optimize their environmental, health, safety and sustainability. Our mission is to create a safer, more sustainable and productive world.
We are a portfolio company of Genstar Capital, a leading middle-market private equity firm focused on investments in targeted segments of the software, industrial technology, financial services and healthcare industries. We operate like a start-up tech company but have over $100 million in annual revenue, with more than 3,000 customers, and operate in 70+ countries.
We are guided by our core values of Customer Centricity, Accountability, Bias to Action, Innovation, and Collaboration. These values help us recruit the right talent to join our rapidly expanding team of nearly 950 Spherions around the globe. It is important to us that each and every Spherion is not only eager to challenge themselves and knows how to get work done but is an awesome addition to our company culture.
Reports to the Chief Financial Officer, works with key business leaders, including the heads of Sales, HR, Business Development and Product Development.
Works as corporate generalist with strong emphasis in corporate compliance, global entity/subsidiary governance and general corporate issues including substantive legal areas such as contracts, real estate, intellectual property, employment, and data protection. Supports and manages acquisition diligence and transaction execution. Supports customer contract negotiations.
Enjoys a high pace environment working either autonomously or within teams and with business leaders.
The VP, Legal is responsible to:
• Work with business teams around the globe as needed to negotiate agreements with customers, suppliers and other third-parties, resolve commercial disputes, advise on employment issues and handle real estate and intellectual property matters, etc.
• Provide legal advice and support in furtherance of Sphera business strategies and initiatives.
• Work with Business Segment leaders on a variety of corporate legal matters and handle global entity management / subsidiary governance activities.
• Obtain and oversee legal and related services from law firms and other providers and manage the costs consistent with Sphera budget objectives.
• Manage Acquisition legal diligence processes, and support acquisition execution.
• Protect Sphera’s competitive and legal interests, manage risks, and foster profitable growth of the business.
• Provide legal analysis and advice to enhance the business’s ability to develop and market its products and service offerings.
• Develop and modify practices, policies and procedures to conform with business requirements and maintain compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
The VP, Legal must possess the following:
JD degree from accredited USA law school and current state bar membership in good standing
Experience in Software and Technology Companies
Experience in legal practice areas such as Intellectual Property, Software licensing, GDPR Compliance, employment and labor, real estate, etc.
Experience in M&A.
Mix of law firm and in-house experience
Experience in client facing direct contract negotiations. Drafting and reviewing complex commercial agreements; Leading contract negotiations with sophisticated counter-parties
Advanced communication skills and ability to understand, interpret and convey business, technical, legal and financial information to others
Experience driving continuous improvement in processes and performance; results and detail-oriented
Well-developed skills in the use of technology including the entire Microsoft suite of offerings including Outlook, Word and Excel
Sphera is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.