Behavioral Marketing Manager
The Group: On the Behavioral Insights team, we apply behavioral sciences to empower investor success. We run rapid, digital experiments to determine what works and what doesn’t, and publicize the results. Our customer insights group focuses especially on how to apply behavioral science to marketing: to better understand, and engage with, our prospects and customers.
The Role: As a behavioral science practitioner, you’ll provide behavioral consulting across multiple lines of business in marketing and sales: to help solve business challenges and drive impact in a measurable way. More specially, you’ll analyze business opportunities with rigorous psychological and data analyses, to identify both behavioral drivers and behavioral hurdles our business and customers face. Then you’ll help develop practical strategies, messaging, and other interventions to drive consumer engagement and appropriate business outcomes. Very importantly, you’ll help design relevant experiments to test the impact of your recommendations and will have the opportunity to publicize the results.
This role gives you a unique opportunity to further develop and leverage both advanced analytics and behavioral consulting skills to become a true business influencer who can effectively drive the good cause of empowering investor success (i.e., Morningstar’s mission).
• Conduct advanced statistical analyses of big data (covering marketing, sales, product usage, customer feedback, etc.) to derive in-depth customer and business insights. Statistical analyses could include data cleansing, data preparation, building machine learning models, experimental design and ANOVA, etc.
• Conduct behavioral analyses of Morningstar’s marketing messaging (e.g., Morningstar.com and other areas of the business) as well as competitors’ marketing messaging, to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Based on derived customer and business insights, develop practical business strategies, messaging, and other interventions to drive desired consumer behavior and business outcome.
• Present your analyses, insights, and recommendations to business partners and management to get their buy-in.
• Design and analyze digital experiments to test the impact of your recommendations.
• Analyze and publicize the results of your experiments/studies and recommend next steps for continuous improvement.
• Academic background in psychology, human factors, finance, or economics is preferred, and candidates should have an interest in behavioral research.
• Experience in statistics, data science, or (quantitative) economics is required. You’ll need to be comfortable with data and with advanced analytics.
• Statistical programming experience (Python, SQL, etc.) is highly preferred. Please provide or summarize particular examples of analyses you’ve conducted in these tools.
• Good communication skills and motivated to drive business impact via team-work.
This position is based in our Chicago office.