Communications Supervisor, PR & Engagement at McDonald's Technology
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries and billions of customers served each year. As the global leader in the food service industry, we have a legacy of innovation and hard work that continues to drive us. Today, we are growing with velocity and are focused on modernizing our experiences, not to make a different McDonald’s, but to build a better McDonald’s.
We are moving fast and are adding to our best-in-class team. Joining McDonald's means thinking big every day and preparing for a career that can have impact around the world. We are customer obsessed, committed to being leaders, and believe we are better when we work together. Over the last couple years, we’ve launched home delivery, modernized our restaurant experience through digital enhancements and have so much more to come.
We are dedicated to using our scale for good: good for people, our industry and the planet. From ambitious recycling initiatives and balanced sourcing efforts to our partnership with Ronald McDonald House Charities, we are constantly improving. We see every single day as a chance to have a genuine impact on our customers, our people and our partners.
Our new, state-of-the-art headquarters is located in the booming West Loop area in the heart of downtown Chicago. It's set up to be a global hub that cultivates innovation. Take a class at Hamburger University, sample future menu items in our Test Kitchen, and utilize the latest technology to communicate with your team around the globe! Our office helps us connect with each other like never before. Participate in monthly organized events, enjoy massive outdoor spaces, an 8000 square foot gym, and an onsite McDonald's serving international favorites. Needless to say, you’ll be lovin’ it here!Job Description
As the Supervisor of Brand PR & Engagement Communications for McDonald's USA, you will help create and manage the perceptions of one of the most recognized brands.
Reporting to the Manager of Brand PR & Engagement Communications, the Supervisor will be responsible for developing and managing communications priorities to support the McDonald's U.S. business and brand, including customer experience, food/menu news, value, family business and field communications. The Supervisor will also need social media and influencer marketing experience as they will work closely with program managers to develop and execute content.
In this role, the Supervisor will proactively interface with cross functional business partners and assist in providing counsel on communications programs that effectively reach and engage defined audiences (e.g., customers, earned media, influencer marketing, third party organizations, etc.) with McDonald's brand story and messages, drive awareness and sales and protect/enhance overall brand image.
Communications Strategy & Counsel
- Assists with execution of public relations strategies for defined focus areas including consumer engagements and promotions, including customer experience, new food/menu news, millennial marketing programs, value and family business campaigns
- Aligns communications and PR strategy with supported U.S. Business departments such as Marketing, Social Media, Digital, Menu Innovation, Operations, Legal and McDonald's Corporate Communications Team
- Aligns communications and PR strategy with other U.S. Communication departmental areas (e.g., media relations, public affairs, internal and management communications)
- Become a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on effective ways to reach and engage key external audiences (e.g., media, influencer marketing, customers and general consumers) with McDonald's brand story and messages
- Gathers, analyzes and incorporates appropriate brand and industry best practices to ensure that communications and PR strategy and programs resonate with and motivate our audiences
- Identifies and applies new, creative ways to reach and engage external audiences
- Seeks ongoing development opportunities to strengthen individual leadership and counsel
- Measures and reports on success of communications and PR strategy for ownership programs
- Writes and edit press releases, media statements and other relevant communications materials
- Leverages data and customer insights to back up thinking and decisions
- Develops and maintains relationships with key stakeholders across the U.S. Business, especially with those departments and individuals that the Brand PR & Engagement Communications team supports as well as with Owner/Operators, marketing and national and local PR agencies
- Demonstrates teamwork within Corporate Communications and the U.S. Communications team as a whole i.e., supporting team members, providing coaching/mentoring, identifying ongoing opportunities to contribute to cross-functional initiatives
- Develops and maintains relationships with external McDonald’s partners to support ongoing initiatives
- Represents U.S. Brand PR & Engagement Communications both internally within the McDonald's system and externally at industry and business functions, events, etc. Brings back knowledge and new information to the team and department in order to further collective skills development, leadership
- Assists in managing all resources related to ownership of communications and PR programs (e.g., budget, agency support, team support, etc.)
- Ensures that all programs are kept within established budgets
- Provides Manager with regular updates on resource management (e.g., program management, agency support, etc.).
- Complete all routine administrative functions (e.g., expense reports, budgets, etc.) in an accurate and timely fashion
Agency & Vendor Management
- Learn the intricacies related to national/regional PR agencies and assist in the development of communications strategy and PR programs to support ownership areas with agencies
- Learn our social media platforms and effectively work with our U.S. Social partners
- Develop knowledge of McDonald’s agency dynamics and work cross-functionally with integrated agencies supporting other functions
- Monitors quality of work and provides ongoing feedback and counsel in ownership areas to agency partners to help them meet objectives, deliver the best work
- Monitors and guides agency spend against established budgets to ensure effective resource management
- Undergraduate degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or other related field
- Public Relations, Integrated Marketing, Influencer Marketing, or related McDonald’s experience
- Experience in public relations, media relations and engagement through social media is a strong plus
- Past experience working with public relations creative agencies and/or cross-functional teams
- Familiarity with traditional and social media monitoring tools and related metrics reporting
- Must enjoy working in a fast-paced, multi-tasking, deadline-oriented dynamic environment with constant change
- Previous experience communicating and building relationships across levels and functions of an organization
- Strong ability to multi-task and prioritize multiple projects and requests simultaneously, within a deadline-driven environment
- Detail-oriented, self-starter and good team player
- Creative thinker solid experience in concept to execution of new ideas
- Proactive and solution oriented problem solver
- Curiosity and drive to develop a deep knowledge of the McDonald’s business and system
- Ability to influence others outside direct line of control, management
- Knowledge of AP style, including excellent writing, design and presentation skills
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact [email protected]
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.