Sprout Social develops and delivers social media engagement, advocacy and analytics solutions for more than 25,000 brands and agencies around the world including the Chicago Bulls, Sony Electronics, Indiana University, Make-a-wish Foundation, Edelman, and Subaru. We’re relentless about solving hard problems, building elegant software and ensuring customer and team success.
We are looking for a passionate, curious and detail-oriented Corporate Communications Strategist to join our growing Chicago-based marketing team. You will be responsible for developing and executing strategic communications initiatives that accelerate company growth and elevate Sprout’s reputation within the global tech industry. In this highly collaborative role, you’ll be interfacing with people across our content, social, investor relations, product marketing, partnerships and executive team as well as working closely with our PR agency.
Our ideal candidate will have demonstrated success in crafting impactful business stories that resonate with top tier media, experience creating press materials for quarterly earnings reports, an understanding of crisis communications and a strong pulse on tech industry trends. They will thrive in a fast-paced environment and be able to bridge creativity with a results-oriented mindset.
These are the minimum qualifications that our hiring team is looking for in this role:
- 3-5 years of public relations/communications experience working with companies in the public sector
- Experience drafting press releases, media pitches and executive quotes/commentary
Additionally, these are the preferred qualifications that would indicate a particularly strong candidate:
- Excellent verbal and written (AP style) communication skills
- Knowledgeable of the U.S. business, social media and financial media landscape
Within one month, you will...
- Attend Sprout Social new hire training to learn about our company, culture, values and products and understand the value we deliver to customers
- Meet with key partners on the social, investor relations, content, product marketing and partnerships teams to learn about the scope of their work and past collaborations
- Develop a firm understanding of Sprout’s brand positioning and how we communicate externally
- Join weekly calls with our PR agency to familiarize yourself with current and past pitch strategy
- Train with social team to learn Sprout’s voice and tone
- Ask a lot of questions
Within three months, you will...
- Develop goals for Sprout’s corporate communications efforts, including placements in target outlets, speaking engagements and awards
- Work closely with our PR agency to create a repeatable outreach strategy for the company’s quarterly earnings announcements, resulting in top-tier placements about our company and/or performance
- Support message development and media training for Sprout’s executive team
- Liaise regularly with the investor relations team to ensure alignment on business stories and adherence to SEC guidelines
- Draft press releases, quotes and messaging for new product features, company updates, integrations and broader business initiatives
- Manage Sprout’s IR social handles using your knowledge of Sprout’s voice and tone
- Have the ability to confidently use our research and measurement tools including Sprout Social Listening
Within six months, you will...
- Have the ability to weave Sprout's messaging into overall business and industry trends to ensure our media outreach is relevant and timely
- Update Sprout’s crisis communications plan to ensure it reflects current needs and get executive buy in on the final version
- Partner with the content team to provide insight and learnings from media outreach in order to help create compelling stories
- Have a strong understanding of Sprout’s competitive advantages to inform targeted outreach efforts that will help differentiate Sprout in the market
- Support content direction and development for Sprout’s annual investor day
- Be comfortable and proactive about working with our team and agency to give feedback, inspire creativity and provide strategic insight
Within 12 months, you will…
- Explore new communication initiatives and media strategies to reach and influence Sprout’s investor and business audiences
- Develop and lead cross-functional projects in support of our awareness and perception goals
- Surprise us! Use your unique ideas and abilities to change our team and marketing efforts in beneficial ways that we haven’t even considered yet.
Of course what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success.
Team Sprout is a group of very talented, smart and passionate people with broad interests and backgrounds. We believe that true employee engagement cannot happen if you can’t bring your whole self to work, so we’re committed to building a diverse team, embracing an inclusive culture and investing in equity across our organization. That dedication is core to Sprout. We want all candidates, particularly those coming from traditionally underrepresented groups in the technology industry, to know they are welcome at Sprout.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for software, product and company culture achievements. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun. We have built a benefits program to match the strength of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including generous company contributions
- Progressive benefit offerings like our parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment - your computer will never prevent you from doing your best whether you are in an office or working remotely
- State of the art offices in cities where Sprout has physical locations (Chicago and Seattle) for those that prefer an office setting
- Solid programs in some of the staples: medical coverage, disability and life insurance
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and financial well-being of our team
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law. We value the things that make us different and want to see how you can make our team better!
Whenever possible, Sprout wants to provide our team with the flexibility to work in the location that makes the most sense for them. For those that prefer an office setting, this role may be based in our Chicago or Seattle locations. If you prefer to work from your home, we can accommodate that for many locations across the United States. We are not set up in all states, however, so please take a look at the drop down box in our application. If your state is listed, we're good to move forward. If not, we're not able to hire in your state at this time. If you'd like to stay in touch with us in case that changes in the future, please apply and we'll save your application for possible future consideration.