Director of Acquisition Marketing at M1 Finance
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our staid, boring, entrenched, slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $3 billion of assets, we’re currently helping more than 500,000 people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to have you read on.
What we’re looking for
This newly created role will appeal to an experienced, data-driven, team-oriented, and customer-centric marketer who wants to (1) feel good helping millions of people improve their financial well-being and (2) build a world-class customer acquisition function across all marketing channels at a rapidly growing company in a disruptive industry.
The Director of Acquisition Marketing will be a key leader on M1’s marketing team, own all online and offline performance marketing channels, and be responsible for driving and accelerating M1’s customer growth. This role will be responsible for efficiently acquiring new customers by growing and expanding M1’s established and newly launched channels (affiliate, paid search, paid social, podcast, display, and newsletter) and soon-to-be / planned-to-be launched channels (influencer, direct mail, linear TV, and OTT).
The ideal person for this role is inherently curious and shows it by relentlessly testing, analyzing, and optimizing outcomes through challenging assumptions; okay with letting data and good ideas drive decisions, no matter where they come from; doesn’t mind (in fact, likes) to do “real” work while mentoring, growing, and managing teammates; is competitive and wants to win and hit goals, without being a jerk about it; is energized by the opportunity to build an organization and achieve lofty goals in a rapidly evolving company; and has a demonstrated track record of scaling a customer acquisition function in a cross-functional environment. Sound like you? Yes? Then read on.
What You'll do
- Establish full-funnel, paid media strategy to support company growth and CAC goals
- Manage a multi-million-dollar performance budget and develop and manage effectively to CAC and related KPIs
- Oversee a growing and accomplished digital marketing team, including the partnership with our digital performance marketing agency, helping to establish targets and providing guidance on strategy and day-to-day media buying and creative execution across digital media and landing pages
- Lead the evaluation and selection of vendor partners to expand and experiment in new channels
- Expand current and established channels through A/B testing, creative experimentation, and customer insights
- Work closely with the lifecycle marketing, client development, product and email/promotions teams to ensure our strategy is integrated for the entirety of our customers’ journeys
- Work closely with our analytics team to set up processes and models that optimize our spending with an eye towards continuously improving productivity
- Work closely with our brand/creative team to refine communication strategy and optimize creative performance across the funnel, ensuring we deliver consistent and action-driving messaging across all performance channels
- Partner with our tech teams to identify and implement marketing and ad technologies that improve attribution and efficiencies
- Mentor and grow a high functioning digital marketing group and set the acquisition team resourcing strategy as we grow. Help to further build out a team of channel experts and agency partners to effectively manage and scale our paid media efforts to support our rapid growth
- Will report to the CMO
- 8+ years of work experience in performance marketing in a B2C environment. Experience managing and scaling TV is desired
- Experience owning and scaling a media budget >$12+ million in initial annual spend with a proven ability to drive growth while managing to CAC targets
- Expertise in launching and managing new channels across a portfolio of disparate sources, with an ability to understand, measure and report on incrementality & attribution
- Knowledge of SEO requirements, tactics and factors for success are big plusses
- Highly familiar with core media buying platforms and are very comfortable using analytics tools such as Google Analytics, Google Optimize, Tableau, etc. Experience with other BI Tools is a strong advantage
- High proficiency in Excel necessary. Intermediate to advanced proficiency with SQL is a strong plus
- Experience and understanding of finance or the finance industry is a plus. Demonstrated interest in personal finance is a big plus.
- Has high EQ, IQ, and sense of humor with low ego (don’t worry, no tests required)
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company.
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it.
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial.
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act.
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions.
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth.
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym