Director of Communications at M1 Finance
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our staid, boring, entrenched, slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $2 billion of assets, we’re currently helping more than 500,000 people grow and manage their wealth with our industry leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say. “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to have you read on.
What we’re looking for
M1’s mission is to empower personal financial well-being, and we’re looking for a dynamic, creative, “gets-things-done” Director of Communications to help us communicate and bring this to life inside and outside our company.
As the Director of Communications, you will represent our company and help manage our brand and communications with employees, community groups and initiatives, industry stakeholders and analysts, events, public relations vendors, and the public at large.
You’ll be responsible for internal and external communications for M1.
Inside the company, you’ll be a part of a close-knit and fun (you’ll have to trust us on this) marketing team and contribute to development of the overall strategy and messaging plan.
You will work closely with the People team for employee communications, company events, education initiatives, and onboarding and develop programs and initiatives that are on brand and consistent with our mission. You’ll be responsible for finding unique and organic ways to communicate the company’s mission and values so that they’re embedded in everything we do.
Outside the company, you’ll be doing tons of things to elevate M1’s presence.
- You’ll set the strategy and goals for our pr efforts and manage our pr agency.
- You’ll seek out outlets and awards for recognition of M1 and employees.
- You’ll be a spokesperson (IRL, on our blog, in other mediums) for the company and establish relationships with industry analysts and members of the media.
- You’ll write and/or approve thought leadership pieces, articles, surveys, and press releases.
- You’ll manage messaging for consistency of third party sites
- You will help with developing a plan to raise awareness of our company as a place where the best, most diverse talent is doing super interesting, impactful, and meaningful work.
- You’ll seek out community initiatives and partnerships with groups where M1 employees can contribute their time and talents.
- You’ll be responsible for coming up with any and all good ideas that we haven’t come up with in this job description.
- You’ll work collaboratively with the creative, content, and social teams to develop the programs to do all of the above.
Communications Director Requirements:
- 8+ years’ experience in communications, public relations, or related field
- High interest in, and knowledge of, personal finance and financial wellness topics
- Strong writer, communicator, and presenter
- Strong track record of creating and implementing creative communication programs that lead to plan-beating business results
- Ability to put together a crisis response plan with the hope of never needing to use it
- Has experience managing a budget
- Experience with event and conference planning
- Willingness to do work as well as direct work
- Prior work in fintech or fast-growing environments is a plus
- Familiarity with digital channels and strategies.
- Familiarity with new and emerging technologies related to content delivery
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits to our actions
- Team oriented: In working together, we maintain low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud if our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according tour values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym