Director, Communications at Kin Insurance
Kin is the home insurance company For Every New Normal. Because of our proprietary technology and direct-to-consumer model, we provide affordable pricing without compromising coverage, even in areas most impacted by climate change. We’re proud to offer fully digital homeowners insurance with an elegant user experience, accurate pricing, and fast, high-quality claims service.
We are also proud to be recognized as Built In’s 2021 Best Midsize Companies to Work For in Chicago and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in America. We are growing super fast, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to help lead the way.
So, what’s the role?
Are you a ninja in the internal and external communications world? You bring story angles not thought of, you’re relentless in your pitch efforts and you have access to key editors and reports. As the Director, Communications, you will lead our communication efforts to build the Kin brand. Storytelling and world class communications will help us with our mission to reach and engage our target audiences. You will drive awareness and recognition in the market of Kin as category leader. The outcome of your work will enhance awareness of our product, our company, and hiring efforts. This role reports directly to the Chief Marketing Officer and leads the communication efforts and function at Kin.
A day in the life could include:
- Lead the development of initiatives that drive forward our corporate identity and brand through unique communication programs, amplification of brand marketing efforts, and as a direct partner to the internal and employer brand, leadership, and marketing teams
- Define and build a scalable communication function that expands our market presence through internal and external initiatives.
- Become an expert in the Kin voice, positioning, and messaging to drive cohesion and one voice in the market
- Have a constant pulse on the market to understand the landscape, bring ideas forth to drive impact, lead the strategy and execution for leadership as spokespeople in the community, and build relationships with the media community
- Develop relationships and work cross-departmentally with departments inside and outside of Marketing to effectively organize and execute on corporate brand initiatives
- Develop media opportunities for company announcements, product launches, and executive highlights
- Able to work independently as a one-person communications team (with room to build out in the future)
- Work closely with the co-founder and CMO to help develop responses and presentations on all press efforts, speaking engagements and thought leadership pieces
I’ve got skills...but do I have the necessary ones?
- 8+ years of comms, PR experience
- Strong leadership skills and track record of working successfully across functions
- Exceptional communicator, storyteller, writer that can bring together the stats and stories. You make complex ideas easy to understand
- Self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment
- You are as comfortable navigating strategy as rolling up your sleeves to get work done
- Business-to-business experience preferred
- Start-up experience preferred
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Remote Work (due to Covid-19) and flexible work hours
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Onsite gym membership - when we return to the office (Chicago office only)
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.