Director of Public Relations at Camelot Illinois
About Camelot Illinois
Camelot Illinois is the integrated business manager of the Illinois Lottery. The company is restoring transparency, integrity, and responsibility to the Illinois Lottery. In partnership with the state, Camelot is operating a modern lottery that truly benefits the people of Illinois. The company’s innovative approach places consumers and social responsibility at its core, providing funding for schools, capital projects, and special causes. Camelot is committed to building an organization with the strength and experience to grow the lottery and reinforce its rightful position as a force for good.
Camelot Illinois is a subsidiary of Camelot Lottery Solutions, a leading solutions and technology provider to lotteries around the world. Camelot Lottery Solutions digital and data platforms, and services power some of the most innovative and fastest growing lotteries in the world including the Irish and UK National Lotteries, Loterie Romande (Switzerland), and the Arkansas Scholarship Lottery.
Our sister company, Camelot UK, has operated the UK National Lottery since 1994. Camelot UK has an unrivaled track record for success, helping the UK National Lottery deliver over $80 billion to winners and $46 billion to good causes to date.
About the Team:
Our Corporate Affairs team develops and implements strategic communications and public relations strategies, tools and tactics to help raise awareness of the Lottery, promote winner stories, and showcase the Lottery’s contributions to special causes in Illinois. Working as part of an integrated team of marketing, social media and digital communications professionals, Corporate Affairs supports the company’s overarching objective to strengthen and enhance the Illinois Lottery brand.
Within Camelot Illinois, the Director of Public Relations will help establish the Illinois Lottery brand to be a champion for the people of Illinois by driving the consumer PR strategy. This will include promoting winning and winners stories, highlighting the impact of the lottery on good causes, supporting integrated cross-functional marketing/communications campaigns, and managing the relationship with Camelot’s contracted external PR agency.
Strengthen the brand
- Help establish the Illinois Lottery brand, to be a champion of the people of Illinois, through the delivery and execution of consumer PR and Camelot’s content strategy
- Ensure brand consistency in all PR efforts, and cross-functional integration of activity to maximise impact
- Lead the development and implementation of the consumer public relations strategy for the Illinois Lottery,
- Initiate and lead public relations initiatives set out in the public relations strategy and annual business plan.
- Maximize the brand presence of the Illinois Lottery through earned and owned media
- Ensure PR activity is impactful through appropriate monitoring and measurement
- Build relationships with relevant external stakeholders, including the Department of the Lottery.
- Work with internal teams and external stakeholders to plan and promote Lottery events, games and activities.
- Manage day-to-day work of the contracted public relations agency.
- Serve as a point of contact for Camelot Illinois and Illinois Lottery media inquiries.
- Act as company spokesperson in proactive media interviews, as needed.
- Develop statements, news releases and pitches, as well as other earned media communications materials.
- Develop and coordinate messaging with senior and executive managers, ensuring consistency.
- Delegate and provide leadership to junior team members.
- Lead internal briefings on consumer public relations projects and activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, and/or other related field.
- 8-10 years experience as a Public Relations Director, senior manager, or similar role. Experience implementing integrated consumer public relations strategies for an agency or business.
- Proven knowledge and experience working with consumer and trade media.
- Proven track record and demonstrable ability to manage complex media issues.
- Demonstrable ability to rapidly produce high impact news releases and persuasive written materials.
- Strong networking and relationship management skills
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Team-oriented and able to take the lead on relevant projects
- Experience managing other team members
- Comfortable working in an entrepreneurial, results-oriented environment
- Flexible and adaptive to changing dynamics and business needs.
- Proficiency in decision-making within a complex and politically sensitive environment.
- Experience working in heavily regulated industries.
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite and/or Google Suite of Products.
Working For Camelot Illinois
We’re a creative group of people at Camelot Illinois, passionate about our work. We are not interested in formality or too much hierarchy. We like to bring the best ideas forward as quickly as possible. We’re proud that we provide a lively and challenging environment for our teams to try new ideas and achieve their potential. If this sounds like a company you would thrive in, get in touch!
Camelot Illinois is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.