Director of Public Relations
About Camelot Illinois
Camelot Illinois has been awarded the contract as the new private manager of the Illinois Lottery. The company is restoring transparency, integrity, and responsibility to the Illinois Lottery. In partnership with the state, Camelot will operate a modern lottery that truly benefits the people of Illinois. The company’s innovative approach places consumers and social responsibility at its core, providing funding for schools, capital projects, and special causes. Camelot is committed to building an organization with the strength and experience to grow the lottery and reinforce its rightful position as a force for good.
Camelot Illinois is a subsidiary of Camelot Lottery Solutions, a leading technology, and professional services provider to lotteries around the world. Camelot Lottery Solution’s portfolio of work includes the Irish National Lottery, Loterie Romande (Switzerland), the California State Lottery, the Kentucky Lottery, and the Arkansas Scholarship Lottery, among others.
Our sister company, Camelot UK, has operated the UK National Lottery since 1994. Camelot UK has an unrivaled track record for success, helping the UK National Lottery deliver over $80 billion to winners and $46 billion to good causes to date.
About the Team:
Our Corporate Affairs team develops and implements strategic communications and public relations strategies, tools and tactics to help raise awareness of the Lottery among consumers, promote winner stories and showcase the Lottery’s contributions to special causes in Illinois. Working as part of an integrated team of marketing, social media and digital communications professionals, Corporate Affairs supports the company’s overarching objective to strengthen and enhance the Illinois Lottery brand.
Within Camelot Illinois, the Director of Public Relations will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the annual public relations strategy, including media relations, promotions, cross-functional marketing/communications projects and oversight of the Camelot’s contracted communications agency.
- Lead the development and implementation of Camelot Illinois’ public relations strategy, and contribute to and support the development of its corporate and public affairs strategies.
- Initiate and lead media and communications relations initiatives set out in the public relations strategy and annual business plan.
- Delegate and provide leadership to junior team members
- Build relationships with relevant external stakeholders including the Department of Lottery.
- Serve as main point of contact for all Camelot Illinois and Illinois Lottery media inquiries.
- Manage day-to-day work of the contracted public relations agency..
- Work with internal teams and external stakeholders to plan and promote Lottery events, games and activities.
- Develop responses to day-to-day issues consistent with Camelot’s messaging.
- Act as company spokesperson in proactive broadcast media interviews, as needed.
- Monitor media for issue awareness and coverage of key topics and provide updates to key executives.
- Develop statements, news releases and pitches, as well as other earned media communications materials.
- Assist with crisis communications.
- Develop and coordinate messaging with senior and executive managers, ensuring consistency.
- Lead internal briefings on specific projects and activities.
- Oversee and update media lists on a regular basis.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, and/or other related field.
- 8-10 years experience as a Public Relations Director, senior manager, or similar role with at least 5 years in a regulated industry.
- Experience implementing integrated consumer public relations strategies for an agency or business.
- Proven knowledge and experience working with consumer and trade media.
- Proven track record and demonstrable ability to manage complex media issues.
- Demonstrable ability to rapidly produce high impact news releases and persuasive written materials.
- Strong networking and relationship management skills
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Team-oriented and able to take the lead on relevant projects
- Experience managing other team members
- Comfortable working in an entrepreneurial, results-oriented environment
- Experience working in heavily regulated industries.
- Flexible and adaptive to changing dynamics and business needs
- Proficiency in decision-making within a complex and politically sensitive environment.
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite and/or Google Suite of Products.
Working For Camelot Illinois
We’re a creative group of people at Camelot Illinois, passionate about our work. We are not interested in formality or too much hierarchy. We like to bring the best ideas forward as quickly as possible. We’re proud that we provide a lively and challenging environment for our teams to try new ideas and achieve their potential. If this sounds like a company you would thrive in, get in touch!
Camelot Illinois is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.