Director of Search Marketing at Wyzant
Wyzant is on a mission to make the world a better place by empowering people to teach and learn from one another. We help students of all ages accomplish their learning goals by providing them with 1-on-1 expert support on our industry-leading online platform. Millions of people are searching for learning help online, and as Director of Search Marketing, your job is to make sure Wyzant is front and center.
We’re looking for an experienced strategist and leader to spearhead Wyzant’s data-driven SEO and SEM practices. This role requires deep search industry knowledge and thought leadership coupled with an obsessive focus on results. The Director of Search Marketing will be an owner in the truest sense, designing the strategy and executing it both with a small team of direct reports and by working collaboratively with Wyzant’s in-house product, technology and data teams. Wyzant relies heavily on business intelligence, analytics and A/B testing, as well as regular qualitative research. Our teams embrace a collaborative philosophy, but are still nimble enough to move quickly.
- Own customer (student / learner) acquisition from all search channels including paid and organic search in Google and Bing.
- Provide search-related thought leadership and education across product, data and tech teams where appropriate.
- Keep abreast of macro search landscape changes – algo updates, industry trends, best practices – and have a point of view on their impact for us.
- Manage and develop a small team of SEO and SEM analysts who prioritize, execute, monitor and optimize key initiatives and campaigns.
- Support and optimize our existing SEO footprint/architecture while identifying expansion opportunities.
- Inherit our well-established paid search campaign structure and bidding algorithm, strengthen it, and layer on new initiatives opportunistically that align with our broader strategy.
- Oversee and proactively communicate any trends or concerns discovered by SEO and SEM analyst’s regular monitoring.
- Work with product and engineering teams to get important SEO work prioritized and to understand SEO implications for planned product changes.
- Own internal linking and keyword strategy, and ensure they are aligned to overall company strategy and objectives, both short and long-term.
- 7+ years of experience in digital marketing, with 3+ years of leadership roles in SEO and SEM for an ecommerce or other consumer internet brand.
- Demonstrated success growing the size and profitability of a large customer base with SEO and SEM channels.
- Experience conducting data-driven SEO site audits and familiarity with the tools of the trade.
- Critical thinking skills, including the ability to identify the most important questions to answer, and the data required to answer them.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop a dedicated team that also works cross-functionally.
- Familiarity with industry-standard tools and products such as Google Analytics, STAT, Botify, rank tracking and page analysis tools, and keyword research tools, and data visualization tools.
- Strong understanding of A/B testing, website usability and conversion optimization principles.
- Bias for action, with experience driving results in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Planning and project management skills.