Lead Postal Strategy at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.Job Description
This position manages postal efficiency strategies, financial reporting, and analysis for all DFS direct mail. Identifies and implements methodologies for controlling annual postage expenses of over $200 million for nearly a billion mail pieces across the entire company. Collaborates with internal business partners and external service providers to ensure mail is processed efficiently and on time to support business partner goals. This position owns and manages a postal database and designs and conducts analyses of detailed postal data. Responsible for identifying and implementing new logistics strategies to fine-tune savings results. In addition, this role sits on the PostCom (Association for Postal Commerce) board of directors, MTAC (Mailers Technical Advisory Committee) among others allowing for insight into industry strategy. This role also collaborates closely with outside council on all things postal, ensuring Discover is optimally positioned when it comes to new regulation and variability within the industry and postal landscape.
Supplier Award Strategy
- Creates and maintains tool for managing end-to-end RFP pricing analyses to facilitate an efficient award process.
- Manages analysis for selection of postal and logistics vendors through an RFP process that balances workload distribution with optimizing savings and efficiencies.
- Assigns logistics optimization strategies to be employed by outside vendors for direct mail campaigns, including internal and external plans and communications for mail processing of each campaign, ensuring that postal planning employs seamless, timely communication with internal business partners and outside vendors for postage, logistics, commingling, and co-palletization, utilizing the Neo system.
- Co-chairs weekly conference calls with internal production teams and primary mail service providers to ensure delivery schedules are clearly communicated and coordinated across all parties for the company's largest direct mail campaigns.
- Makes decisions to accommodate last minute changes or complications, and communicates with internal production teams and multiple external vendors to facilitate timeliness, cost efficiency, quality control, and compliance.
Postal Expense Reduction
- Coordinates strategies to optimize postage cost avoidance for direct mail by consolidating mail processing across all campaigns, and by balancing cost-vs.-benefit decisions to minimize fully loaded costs.
- Coordinates analyses of vendor proposals, including cost vs. benefit for commingling, co-palletization, and drop shipping for each campaign and location to award business so it balances cost effectiveness and efficiency across multiple providers.
- Provides company-wide reporting on nearly 1 billion pieces of mail and $200 million annual postage spend for expense management, negotiation of USPS agreements, and trending.
- Partners with USPS, logistics, and letter shop suppliers to identify and implement new savings opportunities, including communications and dissemination of information and other support necessary to participate in USPS promotions to achieve discounts while adding value to the mail channel.
Postage Payment Accounts Management, Financial Reporting, and Analysis
- Maintains a database required to perform critical daily downloads of mail volume and expense data from USPS CAPS postage payment debit accounts, in order to translate all marketing and remittance/reply mail data into accurate expense allocations across 75 cost centers.
- Provides reporting to Finance for CAPS account credits and debits, balanced to the penny daily and monthly per Finance requirements.
- Ensures any non-CAPS postal transactions are documented and allocated properly.
- Provides timely, accurate, and relevant ad hoc postal and logistics reporting and analysis.
- Advises on procurement system functionality and enhancements to meet postal and freight requirements.
- Consults with internal business partners in Production Services to advise on mail distribution methods to balance the needs for timeliness, consolidation, in-home dates or managed release, depending upon campaign requirements.
- Serves as a key contact for consulting on mail piece design to meet USPS regulations and achieve automation discounts. Provides guidance to Corporate Branding and Creative Services during creative development and approves compliance of new mail piece designs.
- Monitors compliance with USPS Intelligent Mail Barcode requirements on laser sign-offs to ensure all mail pieces achieve discounts and qualify for delivery performance tracking.
- Utilizes the USPS Enterprise Payment System and internal tracking document to manage all DFS Post Office boxes, permits, and DFS owners in order to ensure by reply mail and fees for all boxes and permits are accurate and up to date.
- Ensures up-to-date documentation of department postal procedures, including letter shop instructions, are maintained.
- Maintains awareness of postal industry developments to recommend actions on new postal issues and opportunities.
- Participates in the Association of Postal Commerce and Mailers Technical Advisory Committee work groups to provide input to USPS on new developments.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- 6+ years of recent experience in Postal Affairs (direct mail/direct marketing)
- In lieu of a degree, 8+ years of recent experience in Postal Affairs (direct mail/direct marketing)
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Business, or Communications
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.