Media Relations Manager at Motorola Solutions
At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications, software, video and services help our customers work safely and more efficiently. Whether it’s helping firefighters see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and security.
Department OverviewThe global communications team is the voice of Motorola Solutions, telling the company’s story of transformation and progress to employees, reporters and other stakeholders. We work strategically and collaboratively with colleagues around the world, finding the most compelling stories to tell and bringing them to life through communications programs and activities that drive business results.
This position is an opportunity for a skilled communications professional with a strategic mindset, media relations experience and strong project management and writing skills to manage external communications plans and programs. The team member will join the North America communications team, based in Motorola Solutions’ Chicago headquarters, and report to the head of North America communications.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Serve as a strategic business partner to North America sales leaders, teams and functions across the region, with a focus on building relationships and gathering insights that can be used in messaging and media pitching
- Partner with product and marketing teams to integrate communications activities
- Lead the development and execution of strategic external communications plans and programs that tell the company’s story to reporters, investors and other key audiences
- Create well-crafted, concise and highly engaging communications including pitches, press releases, blog posts and other tools needed to tell our story
- Build and maintain key media relationships and regularly pitch local, regional and trade media with North America stories
- Read public safety and technology news; support monitoring, measurement and crisis communications
- Manage communications activities at and around priority North America trade shows
Specific Knowledge and Skills
- Strategic thinker who can build a network, gather information and translate it into communications projects and plans that generate coverage and clear results
- Outstanding writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Excellent media relations experience, ideally in a B2B technology industry
- Strong judgment and the ability to make decisions independently
- Serious commitment to excellence, quality and attention to detail
- Ability to work with a variety of media, meet tight deadlines, manage multiple projects simultaneously and adjust as circumstances change
- Skilled at exerting influence, as well as collaborating, navigating and managing at all levels of the organization
- Experience working with sales teams, marketing and company leaders preferred
- Bachelor’s degree; journalism, communications or English is preferred
- 3+ years of experience in corporate communications, a public relations agency or journalism
Travel RequirementsUnder 10%
Referral Payment PlanNo
Motorola Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or, any other protected characteristic.
If you are a current Motorola Solutions employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account.