Quantitative Behavioral Marketer at Morningstar
As a Quantitative Behavioral Marketer, you will study the preferences and behaviors of various stakeholders in the investment ecosystem. You’ll then apply the resulting data insights and your understanding of psychology to help grow and solidify connections with buyers of Morningstar’s products and services.
An area of particular focus in the near-term will be analyzing user behavior on Morningstar.com to gain insight into the interests of various investor segments, to enable targeted digital marketing that delivers relevant value to the audience. More broadly, this role will give you a special opportunity to develop and leverage both advanced analytics and behavioral consulting skills: to drive investor success through a deep, data-centric understanding of the interests and behaviors of investors.
On the Behavioral Insights team, we apply advanced analytics and behavioral sciences to empower investor success. We derive deep insights from mining rich business data, form meaningful hypotheses, and run rapid, digital experiments to determine what works and what doesn’t. Our behavioral marketing group focuses especially on how to apply advanced analytics and behavioral sciences to marketing: to better understand, and engage with, our prospects and clients.
• Conduct advanced statistical analyses of big data (covering marketing, sales, product usage, customer feedback, etc.) to derive in-depth customer and business insights regarding behavioral drivers and hurdles our business and customers face. Statistical analyses could include data cleansing, data preparation, building machine learning models, experimental design and ANOVA, etc.
• Conduct behavioral analyses of Morningstar’s marketing as well as competitors’ marketing messaging, to identify opportunities for improvement. (We will train you on this as needed.)
• Based on derived customer and business insights, develop practical business strategies, messaging, and other interventions to drive ethical connections with consumers and business results. (We can provide training here, as well)
• Present your analyses, insights, and recommendations to business partners and management to get their buy-in.
• Design and analyze digital experiments to test the impact of your recommendations.
• Analyze and publicize the results of your experiments/studies and recommend next steps for continuous improvement.
• The near-term focus of this role includes analyzing audience behaviors on Morningstar.com and related sites, to develop segment-specific engagement strategies that would help power targeted content. This role would also learn and work with large-scale market-sizing analysis on Amazon Web Services.
• Experience in statistics, data science, or (quantitative) economics is required. You’ll need to be proficient in data mining and advanced analytics.
• Statistical programming experience (Python, R, SQL, etc.) is strongly preferred. Please provide or summarize particular examples of analyses you’ve conducted by using these tools.
• Academic background in psychology, human factors, finance, or economics is highly preferred, and candidates should have a demonstrated interest in behavioral research.
• Good communication skills and motivated to drive business impact via team-work.