Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco and nationwide.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be part of the future of tech.We're Looking for a Staff Reporter, Explainers
The staff reporter will be responsible for writing six-plus longform explainer features per month, ranging from industry trend breakdowns to narrowly focused discussions of the tradeoffs between different coding languages or frameworks. (See examples below.) Each feature requires in-depth research and original interviews with several experts from the tech industry or academia.
Audience research plays a large role in determining the topics covered by this reporter, but there is a lot of room to experiment with different formats for different stories.
You’d be joining an ambitious editorial team responsible for telling original stories that help our audience of tech professionals grow professionally and gain a deeper understanding of the industry. (We’re also really fun — we promise.)Who You Are
- Self-motivated and highly skilled researcher and interviewer.
- Experienced in writing about complex topics for a lay audience.
- Excited about tech coverage and constantly thinking about how to make stories more relevant to your audience.
- Always looking beyond the obvious questions to uncover nuances other tech publications overlook.
- Two-plus years of full-time reporting experience, with an emphasis on writing features between 1,500-3,000 words in length.
- Excellent writing and editing skills (please include two or three writing samples when applying).
- What Is Cloud Native and Why Is It Important?
- The Deck Is Stacked Against Black Women in Tech
- A Crash Course in Brand Lift
- The Line Between Data Lakes and Data Warehouses Is Blurring. Will It Disappear?
- Should Your Company Care About Its Net Promoter Score?
- Are We Living In a Computer Simulation?
Remote Work Notice
Our HQ is in Chicago, but we are open to remote candidates for this position.
Due to the effects of COVID-19, Built In has decided to protect our current and future employees by managing our entire business remotely until further notice. We are continuing to hire for all open roles, and will be interviewing and onboarding virtually. HQ-based employees will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.
That said, we’re still offering our full perks and benefits package, including: health, dental, and vision insurance, 401k, equity opportunities, discretionary PTO, food and tech stipend while remote, virtual culture activities, flexible working hours, and more.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.