Staff Reporter at Built In
Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco and nationwide.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be part of the future of tech.We're Looking for a Staff Reporter, Explainers (Chicago HQ or Remote)
The staff reporter will be responsible for writing six-plus longform explainer features per month, ranging from industry trend breakdowns to narrowly focused discussions of the tradeoffs between different coding languages or frameworks. (See examples below.) Each feature requires in-depth research and original interviews with several experts from the tech industry or academia.
Audience research plays a large role in determining the topics covered by this reporter, but there is a lot of room to experiment with different formats for different stories.
You’d be joining an ambitious editorial team responsible for telling original stories that help our audience of tech professionals grow professionally and gain a deeper understanding of the industry. (We’re also really fun — we promise.)Who You Are
- Self-motivated and highly skilled researcher and interviewer.
- Experienced in writing about complex topics for a lay audience.
- Excited about tech coverage and constantly thinking about how to make stories more relevant to your audience.
- Always looking beyond the obvious questions to uncover nuances other tech publications overlook.
- Two-plus years of full-time reporting experience, with an emphasis on writing features between 1,500-3,000 words in length.
- Excellent writing and editing skills (please include two or three writing samples when applying).
- What Is Cloud Native and Why Is It Important?
- The Deck Is Stacked Against Black Women in Tech
- A Crash Course in Brand Lift
- The Line Between Data Lakes and Data Warehouses Is Blurring. Will It Disappear?
- Should Your Company Care About Its Net Promoter Score?
- Are We Living In a Computer Simulation?
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Inclusive, Always. We’re committed to a culture where all people are respected, have a say and can be their whole selves. We will uplift and advocate for one another. Always.
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.