Technical Writer at Litera
Our Story: Litera, headquartered in Chicago, IL, is a fast-growing software company and one of the leading legal technology suppliers in the world. Serving more than 90% of the world's largest law firms, our software is used by hundreds of thousands of lawyers every day. As a company recently selected for Crain's Best Places to Work in Chicago, we believe professional development, rewards programs, open communication, and transparent leadership all contribute to a unique and open work environment. Our employees are driven, energetic, passionate, and have the ability to make a direct impact on the future of the company.
The Opportunity: Come join a creative team of technical writers dedicated to helping our customers install, configure, maintain, and use our software effectively. We are looking for an experienced technical writer who will write and illustrate product manuals and materials for various audiences including end users, administrators, and developers. You will work closely with our developers, product managers, product owners, customer support representatives, and solutions engineers to ensure the accuracy and completeness of all materials produced.
A Day in the Life:
- Write and edit software documentation including user guides, installation guides, quick-reference guides, release notes, system administration and configuration guides, and online help topics following approved technical writing processes and styles
- Develop basic graphics to illustrate material as needed
- Become an expert in the software products you document
- Work within an Agile software development environment
- Work with subject-matter experts and product owners to understand the products and new features, then use that information to write customer-friendly materials
- Validate deliverables for accuracy, readability, and usability
- Understand and use best practices for localization and translation
- Provide UI/UX feedback to product owners.
- Act as a customer advocate by providing feedback to our internal teams related to product improvements.
- Work with minimal supervision
Within 1 month, you will:
- Complete our technical communications onboarding process
- Meet your team and learn the nuts and bolts of our business, and where we're going
- Familiarize yourself with our technology by working with teammates, installing software, and using the existing documentation to learn the products
- Familiarize yourself with our procedures, styles, and tools
- Learn the Agile methodology used for software development as it is applied at Litera
Within 3 months, you will:
- Be assigned your own products to document using the procedures, styles, and tools provided
- Follow the Agile methodology for daily standups, and meet with the product owners of your products as needed (at least once every two weeks) to review your information and ask questions to ensure you have what you need to document the ongoing development
- Update the documentation and follow the review and publication processes for your products
Within 6 months, you will:
- Be responsible for meeting deadlines and updating graphics and documentation, both written and online components for each quarterly and point releases
- Provide input to Technical Communications processes and procedures for continual improvement
- Work with other departments to solicit feedback on your documentation to ensure it continually meets the customer's needs
- Help support to the Adoption team for your products
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication, interviewing, organization, interpersonal, research, investigative, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to communicate complex ideas in a clear, concise manner, and willingness to pursue emerging technologies as needed for the organization
- Strong MS Office skills including advanced knowledge of Word, experience with Snagit or other graphics program, and some experience with xml or html authoring tools
- Ability to learn new software applications quickly as they are being developed
- Capable of managing internal relationships effectively with the ability to have difficult conversations around software issues and status of projects in a clear and timely manner
- Successfully manage multiple assignments in a fast-moving environment
- 2+ years' relevant experience, with solid knowledge of:
- Writing and illustrating software documentation
- Authoring using Templates and styles in Word
- Authoring in xml or html, and structured writing (including DITA)
- TechSmith Snagit or comparable graphics programs
- A strong desire to keep learning new things!
What Sets us Apart?
- Have direct contact with management and the executive team
- Work with an experienced team that has a proven track record of providing accurate and complete materials to help customers
- Have the opportunity to learn new tools and trends in technical communications to ensure we have cutting-edge support materials
- You'll be challenged and encouraged to broaden your skills
- Regular social and philanthropic events