VP Marketing Operations at Tribune Publishing
This integral and exciting leadership role at Tribune Interactive – a unit of Tribune Publishing Company, publisher of New York Daily News, Chicago Tribune, Baltimore Sun and many other influential brands – powers all campaigns associated with acquiring and retaining digital subscribers. At the intersection of marketing strategies and technical capabilities, this problem-solving, detail-oriented leader ensures our promotions and processes are innovative, efficient and flawless. The role leads a team of 14 full-time or contracted employees, spread among 3 direct reports.
- Directs the operation of all systems that facilitate web sales of digital and print subscriptions. Currently this includes managing the MG2 system for subscription services, SSOR that handles user registration, DSS that controls our paywall meter, DSI that bills our customers, Vindicia that enables credit card recycling, and Epsilon/Harmony that deploys customer emails. This system responsibility includes ensuring all tools have the appropriate functionality to serve our changing business needs, identifying opportunities to make our use of these systems more efficient to save employee handling time and cost, constantly leveraging the systems to fulfill marketing and newsroom campaign needs, and ensuring 24/7 access to these systems for employees and consumers.
- For outbound email campaigns, leads the team that sets up email campaigns, deploys tests to internal stakeholders, executes campaigns and provides reporting of email statistics. Directly specifies and approves workflow to ensure this campaign work is done flawlessly. Investigates new processes for these activities that would save the Company expense, make the emails more flexible and automated, and eliminate the possibility for error. Work here include managing the Epsilon contract relationship, as well as the daily distribution of “eNotify” emails run by MG2 that notify subs of the eNewspaper availability.
- Serves as a vital partner to colleagues in Technology and Product Development on special projects that power efficient, compliant and consistent consumer experiences across Tribune’s network of properties.
- Leads quality assurance personnel who ensure flawless implementation of new programs, and continued excellent operation of existing processes and sites.
- Coordinates a cross-section of employees – both on own team and in creative, legal and technical groups – in their development landing pages, pay panels, meter-related modals and test executions. This multi-team, intricately harmonized leadership ensures proper operation, correct rates and copy, approved legal language and coherent consumer flow. This work is vital to increasing strategically and financially important digital subscription and revenue growth.
- Works with markets and finance on approved consumer rates, and ensures that her team and their finance colleagues correctly set them up in our systems. This leader also seeks to reduce complexity in our rate structure, reducing the total number of rates we use for digital subscription from several dozen to just a handful, thereby streamlining our marketing assets that communicate a multitude of prices.
- Leads the data team that pulls segmented lists of customers for every outbound campaign.
- Supports campaign reporting needs by ensuring proper campaign tracking, and occasional ad hoc analysis that affirms or refutes downstream system output. Identifies and coordinates the use of Tableau to automate this reporting.
- Resolves problems reported by colleagues or customers about our transactional sites or emails.
- Partners with Technology and Product on the exploration and vetting of new systems.
- Actively seeks our new innovations and processes that make our campaign setups more efficient, faster, more customer-friendly and less expensive.
- Carefully manages expenses associated with MG2 fulfillment and Epsilon email deployment systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in operations, technology or related field or equivalent work experience, MBA preferred
- 15+ years of leadership experience with a background in marketing operations
- Must have the ability to effectively communicate with executive management (written and verbal)
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Must have the ability to develop a high-performing team
- Ability to work in a matrixed organization