Associate Mainframe Systems Programmer at Ensono
Ensono is a hybrid IT services provider that sees a world in transformation. We understand the world of business has become more complex, layered and interdependent because we’re enabling the IT infrastructure for that transformation. Our clients are some of the most innovative and forward-thinking companies in the world and we help keep their businesses thriving. With nearly 50 years of experience, we optimize and modernize IT infrastructure by amplifying the power of mainframes and mid-range servers with the agility of cloud. Check us out at www.ensono.com.
As a recognized leader in IT infrastructure management, Ensono is dedicated to cultivating talented individuals with unique skillsets who know how to dream big and build bigger. We are looking for passionate and self-motivated candidates to apply for our Associate Mainframe Systems Programmer (AMSP) open position!
The incumbent of this role will first go through 6 to 12 months of training via our Mainframe Apprenticeship program where the candidate will complete several hours of online courses and work in test environments to complete labs and exercises to obtain necessary hands-on experience, gain exposure to various mainframe components, and reinforce key knowledge elements. They work directly with teams within our Mainframe Global Optimize Business Unit to train/learn the various support requirements and perform tasks as directed by a manager or team leader. The Mainframe Apprenticeship training provides an introduction to various mainframe disciplines: Technical Services Support (TSS), Storage, Scheduling, Automation, Database/CICS, Disaster Recovery, Hardware, Network, Capacity Planning, Operating System and third-party software (ISV/zOS), as well as soft skills and project management. After initial training is completed, the associate would then be advanced into one of our mainframe discipline team within our Mainframe Global Optimize Business Unit, which supports all Ensono managed services clients with mainframe services. Once placed on a mainframe team, the associate will continue their gain of mainframe skills while contributing to client deliverables.
The AMSP position is a full-time, entry level job role. We prefer candidates be located within Omaha, Nebraska or Conway, Arkansas. US based remote work may be considered under certain circumstances.
Job Duties AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Be curious, have a thirst for knowledge and learning new things --- ask questions and offer thoughtful solutions
- Complete online training coursework as well as hands-on labs and exercises related to the various mainframe disciplines
- Perform knowledge transfer and training with various teams that comprise the Mainframe Global Technical Services Business Unit (GTS BU). Teams consists of but not limited to: Technical Services Support (TSS), Storage, Scheduling, Automation, Database/CICS, Disaster Recovery, Hardware, Network, Capacity Planning, Operating System and third-party software (ISV/zOS)
- Able to capture technical information and document the process steps in written form
- Interact with teammates via various means of communication (face to face meetings, phone, email, instant messenger, conference calls) to exchange knowledge and information to successfully complete deliverables
- Exercise professional integrity by seeking work during downtime, having respect of company required work hours, properly requesting time off and documenting time honestly in designated time tracking tools
- Demonstrate organization and time management skills which includes acknowledging and attending meetings, deciphering and responding to important emails in a timely manner, completing assignments on time (by due date or earlier) or escalating to manager immediately if obstacles are identified
- Be able to utilize problem solving skills in an effective and conclusive manner to analyze an issue, suggest a solution, and be involved in the direct implementation of that solution – providing necessary teamwork and research throughout the process
- Be able to adapt and efficiently manage priorities in the ever-changing, fast-paced world of IT
Examples of Mainframe Job Performances:
- Assist with access requests to systems – submit requests and follow-up to ensure completion of assigned username and password
- Software (SW) research to determine compatibility and end of support upgrade requirements
- Vendor SW conversions, installs, replacements, and upgrades
- SW upgrade validation, testing, and creating back out documentation using standard team processes
- Capacity/CICS/Database/Storage management
- Provide 24 X 7 on-call support (when qualified)
- Participate in Disaster Recovery activities
- Possess the drive and self-motivation to sharpen current skills while also learning something new
- Intermediate proficiency in MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Project, and Word) or MAC equivalent products
- Possess a conceptual or practical understanding of or have a willingness to learn various technologies including but not limited to Mainframe, Open Systems, Networking, etc.
- Ability to present ideas in a clear and concise manner - sharp communication skills both verbal and written
- Decision making skills – know when to ask for guidance/help or when to escalate an issue
- Possess strong analytical/problem-solving, organizational, and time management skills
- Proactive attitude, dependable, and detailed-oriented
- Ability to function in a fast-paced environment and manage the stress level
- Ability to actively participate within a team and collaborate with others effectively
- Ability to take constructive criticism or receive corrective instructions without offense
- Required 2-3 years IT experience
- Preferred 3-5 years in professional work environment experience (or equivalent)
- Preferred 4 year degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or STEM related area of study. Related Associate Degrees and Professional Certificates will also be considered.
The incumbent of this position will report to the Mainframe Academy Leader.
Specific needs may vary based on business necessity. The qualifications and responsibilities outlined should be used as guidance regarding required and preferred skills.
Whether providing unprecedented solutions for clients or collaborating with each other to make unexpected connections, our teams are to exhibit these core values across every endeavor:
Honesty - We’re transparent and accountable
Reliability - We deliver on our promises
Collaboration - We thrive as a team
Curiosity - We relentlessly innovate on behalf of our clients
Passion - We love what we do and share our enthusiasm
Ensono is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Ensono provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, or genetic information.