The Associate Network Engineer is responsible for the administration and availability of networking systems supporting Paylocity’s SaaS environments and providing connectivity across the organization. This person will install, configure, perform maintenance, and contribute to multiple tech-related projects. This person is responsible for maintaining system availability and acting as an escalated contact for resolving issues.
As a member of Paylocity’s Tech Delivery and Enablement team, this person is a resource for all areas of networking technologies. Our Tech Delivery and Enablement team enjoys finding the right tool for the job, so we use a combination of commercial, open-source, and custom-built solutions to solve the needs of our clients.
Our team’s unique structure allows each member the freedom to perform tasks independently. Because we manage a wide variety of systems, one will rarely be limited to working on a single job. Additionally, each team member is encouraged to grow in experience and technical knowledge by pursuing certifications and experimenting with new technology.
Are you the teammate we are looking for?
Who you are:
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Have a strong love of learning and a willingness to take on new challenges
- Can effectively multitask, while still meeting ticket and project deadlines
- Can interact effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals
- Interested in learning more about Network Automation using Ansible
During the first six months, you will:
- Act as a first-level responder to new tickets related to our core network infrastructure
- Ensure continuous health of systems through monitoring/alerting tools
- Administer, troubleshoot, and maintain multiple network solutions, including switches, load balancers, and firewalls.
- Assist with the planning, development, and execution of network management and maintenance projects, policies, procedures, and operational improvements.
- Create and update scripts to automate manual processes
- Present technical changes to a Change Advisory board
- Partner with customers to collaborate on tools and solutions
- Work with development team(s) to drive efficiencies
- Participate in on-call rotation and perform off-hours work as needed
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2-3 years of experience in corporate networking, with experience in an enterprise environment
- Experience with all of the following: Next-generation firewalls and security best practices; load-balancing solutions and best practices; public cloud offerings and working in hybrid cloud architectures; working within data centers or colocations: enterprise wireless systems; orchestrating the deployment of infrastructure through configuration management technologies.
- Intermediate knowledge (including technical certifications or equivalent skillset) of all the following networking concepts and technologies: TCP/UDP sessions and flows, packet capture and analysis, switching and routing fundamentals, and WAN networking.
- Entry-level knowledge of OSPF and BGP dynamic routing protocols and working within the Linux operating system
- Solid understanding of monitoring and alerting best practices
- Proven troubleshooting skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including maintaining useful documentation and sharing knowledge via presentations, blog posts, and Wiki articles