Automated Fulfillment Strategy Manager
What’s Our Dish
Announced in May 2018, Peapod Digital Labs (PDL) is an Ahold Delhaize USA company that powers the eCommerce and digital strategies for the Great Local Brands of Ahold Delhaize USA. Accelerating growth in digital and personalization capabilities, PDL is an innovation lab focused on meeting the changing needs of customers, regardless of when, where, and how consumers choose to shop.
Peapod continues to be a consumer-facing eCommerce brand, and is part of Peapod Digital Labs, focused on growing Peapod sales to consumers.
Browse the Aisles:
The Automated Fulfillment role is responsible for developing, maintaining and expanding a strategy for automation Centralized Fulfillment.
To be successful, it is imperative that they develop and maintain intimate knowledge and expertise on automation solutions within grocery retail, supply chain and e-commerce, by constantly keeping up with market developments and new innovations. This role will develop a thorough understanding of the business needs that dictate the requirements for automation solutions in the ADUSA e-commerce fulfillment network, and will develop effective ways of determining suitability and applicability of solutions and solution providers, systems and system integrators.
What's "in-store" for the role:
The Automation role will work closely with the Channel Strategy Lead responsible for Centralized Fulfillment, as this is the business area where most automation will be applied. They will also collaborate closely with the Business Development Manager within Fulfillment Strategy, as well as with Strategy Managers and Business Development Managers within the PDL Strategy department to build strategic relationships with relevant third parties within the automation landscape.
This role maintains close ties with counterparts within IT to understand the implications of automation solutions on IT requirements, integration of automation systems with warehouse management systems, warehouse control systems and PDL internal order management and orchestration systems.
They will develop and design fully defined solutions in concert with solution providers and/or system integrators, and will establish financial business cases and support the development of Investment Proposals, as well as developing a process for implementation of any solution from a business perspective as well as from an IT perspective.
This role will responsible for the implementation of automation pilots. For as long as solutions are in pilot phase, this role will be closely involved in running the pilot, developing learnings, evaluate the effectiveness of the solution using a predetermined set of KPIs and criteria, and will be working with solution providers and integrators to address any issues and adapt the solution where necessary.
The Essentials In Your Cart - The required ingredients
- Bachelor's degree, Masters preferred
- Degree in Operations Management, Continuous Improvement or Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or related fields are very beneficial to this role
- Typically 5-8 years of successful experience in a directly related field and successful demonstration of Key Abilities and Knowledge as presented above.
- Track record of successful delivery of cross functional projects
- Intimate knowledge of Material Handling Systems in grocery retail, supply chain and e-commerce
- Understanding of the dynamic handling characteristics, constraints and risks associated with the wide range of material handling systems
- Knowledge of the constraints and methods for defining and demonstrating equipment, subsystem, and system performance criteria
- Financial understanding of retail P&L and cost/benefit drivers
- Affinity with IT systems and IT infrastructure
- Technical knowledge of automation aspects, WCSs, PLCs, etc.
Extra Spices - What you should bring to the table
- Demonstrates and applies broad knowledge of concepts, best practices, and procedures
- Good communicator
- Develop project budgets and business plans.
- Evaluates and recommends changes in methods or procedures
- Troubleshoots and resolves complex problems.
- May be responsible for overall success of function or project.
- Project management
- Analytical mindset
- Financial analysis
- Ability to identify and develop the proper team skills required for the successful implementation of all components of complex automated fulfillment environments inclusive of mechanical, controls, process and software integration
Join Us at Our Table
Peapod Digital Labs is a forward-thinking company with a strong legacy of innovation. We recognize who powers our progress – our people! We offer a great variety of benefits and perks to our employees, including: great health care options, including PPO and HSA plans (with company contributions), dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, a 401k with strong company match and immediate vesting, and generous and flexible paid time off.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to sex, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, religion, age, marital status (including civil unions), military service, veteran status, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, legally recognized disability, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law.