Brokerage Operations Manager at M1 Finance
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our staid, boring, entrenched, slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $2 billion of assets, we’re currently helping more than 500,000 people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say. “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to have you read on.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for a Brokerage Operations Manager to lead the operations of one of our pillars– M1 Invest. As the leader of this team, this individual must grasp complex topics and adapt to solve problems. They are a strong communicator and experienced people manager. The Brokerage Operations Manager’s goal will be to ensure all recurring operational tasks are completed to keep the business running while knowing how to mitigate any risk exposure. They can think critically for ways to grow and scale both the team and the operations. They accomplish this based on their comfort with data and their experience advocating and implementing automation and technology.
- Run M1’s daily brokerage operations by leading the team to do the following:
- Execute and monitor all trading
- Oversee account transfers from contra firms
- Handle client requests specifically related to their brokerage accounts
- Monitor clients with margin balances
- Steward our relationships with all vendors most notably our clearing firm
- Manage a growing team of Brokerage Operations Associates which includes career growth and staffing planning as M1 scales
- Collaborating with teams across the company to identify what key metrics the Brokerage Ops team should be concerned with and make recommendations on how to drive growth and efficiency
- Serve as the ultimate point of escalation and resolution for all customer-related operational issues
- Collaborate consistently with the Client Success team by providing resources on brokerage operations topics and work towards a holistic customer experience
What We're Looking For
- +5 years in brokerage operations/back of house operations or experience at financial institutions
- Series 7, 66 and Series 24 a bonus
- Experience leading and building out a high-functioning team
- Proficiency with Excel/Google Sheets/SQL
- Proven organizational and project management skills
- Ability to learn quickly and problem solve on the fly with little guidance
- Strong intuition to assess and resolve unclear situations with limited information
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills at all levels of an organization
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym