At Civis Analytics, we bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making—from the boardroom to the world’s largest progressive social causes.
This mission isn’t an aspiration: it’s something we see realized every day, and it brings purpose to everything we’re working on.
We combine a sophisticated SaaS product with our specialized data science consultancy to empower tens of thousands of active users to make millions of data-driven decisions every month. From joining disparate data sources and automating reporting, to building more elaborate models of targeted audiences and optimizing messages for them, organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the City of Boston, and iHeart Radio trust Civis’s technology to make their most critical decisions.
Core to our product and consulting offerings is Civis Platform, which makes it easy to import, manage, transform, analyze, and report on data with integrated open source tools. Our customers love Civis Platform because it empowers them to focus on finding data-driven answers to their most critical questions—in other words, we empower them to run their business, rather than running a tech stack.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and employees are remote until further notice. This is being closely monitored as the situation evolves. Although it’s likely our offices will reopen, positions hired outside of Civis office locations will be remote roles.
What We’re Looking For
Civis Analytics is looking for a CTO to drive the company’s overall technical vision and growth strategy. Reporting to the CEO, you will have a unique opportunity to shape the direction of a young company and its next generation of products during a period of significant growth. We are looking for a pragmatic, business-minded tech leader with a proven track record of scaling large teams and building successful SaaS solutions and compelling customer experiences.
- Be the tech voice within our senior leadership team and guide decision-making and business planning as we scale;
- Own our long-term technical roadmap and budget; drive execution and meet deliverables; make key architectural and build vs. buy decisions; ensure that we are investing resources wisely;
- Lead and integrate a cross-functional team of 60 engineers, data scientists, product managers, and designers, and be a magnet for talent so that we can continue to grow;
- Provide thought leadership within the company; research and evaluate cutting-edge practices and enabling technologies for internal adoption; assess potential partnerships and acquisitions;
- Be the public face of Civis technology and data science; network, evangelize, and form relationships with press and peer organizations; participate in high-level sales meetings; and give back to the community.
Your responsibilities will cut across all departments at Civis. You must be able to work well with others that approach problems from different perspectives, but you will be expected to challenge and change the way we operate as we mature.
- 10+ years of experience in software development and technical operations
- B.S. in computer science, engineering, or related field; advanced degrees are preferred
- Experience in the following areas:
- Leading technology strategy and architectural evolutions to enable additional scale and reliability
- Overseeing cloud-based SaaS architecture, platform, and application strategy
- Managing entire product lifecycles, from research to design to development to launch
- Building proprietary data assets and infrastructure
- Leading and scaling large technical teams
- Mentoring and cultivating technical leaders
- Data-driven, evidence-based, and transparent approach to making decisions
- Direct and honest communication style; humble and strong work ethic
- Successful history of leading via influence and gaining respect among highly skilled and educated subject matter experts
Who we are
Civis offers opportunities for newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anyone in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily, and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas—no matter how big they are.
We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo, and finding new ways to help our company—and each other—grow.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech organization focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO; 401K match with immediate vesting; health, dental, and vision benefits; fully paid parental leave; breastfeeding support, including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms; commuter benefits; wellness initiatives, including weekly group meditations; monthly on-site massage therapy; and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now-fully remote work environment, we have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (five-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-ups where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from-home-schedules to help employees juggle their responsibilities.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees, and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW