Classification Associate at Flexport
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. We are a licensed freight forwarder and customs brokerage built around a modern technology stack. We help some of the world's fastest growing brands manage their international supply chains, providing a fully-managed service for moving products between any two places on the planet.
Flexport is experiencing massive growth with 1,700+ Flexporters across 17 global offices and warehouses. And we’re just getting started. With revenue growing at breakneck speed, Flexport is looking for a Classification and Trade Advisory Associate to join our Trade Advisory team. In this role, you will be the main point of contact for all global classification assignments, responsible for managing all of the classification projects with our clients, service providers and internal stakeholders. In addition, we also expect this role to assist the team with other trade advisory matters, helping our clients navigate the complex web of global trade, customs and logistics industries as we collectively challenge the status quo and reduce friction in global trade.You will:
- Own and scale Flexport’s HS classification service globally
- Performance manage our service providers to be able to provide a competitive offering to our clients
- Take ownership and actively manage the HS classification projects with our clients and service providers to ensure efficient and proper transition of product data.
- Analyze, research, and assign proper HS classifications for products imported by our clients using the Harmonized Tariff System.
- Review HS classifications completed by service providers to check for accuracy.
- Use your knowledge of Section 301 China tariffs and exemption classifications.
- Keep current with changes in regulations that impact classification for our client’s products.
- Maintain accurate client databases within our system including, product descriptions, SKUs, import and export classifications.
- Document classification processes and procedures and develop classification audit program.
- Maintain professional communication with our clients, service providers, and internal stakeholders.
- Support Trade Advisory infrastructure and administrative requirements.
- Assist the Trade Advisory team to resolve trade related questions and problems.
- Research trade related matters such as tariff classification, valuation, country of origin, trade remedies, and free trade agreements
- Proactively stay informed on the latest CBP and OGA regulations, ruling issuances, and industry trends that are relevant to our clients.
- Prepare client deliverables including memos and presentations.
- Licensed Customs Broker highly desirable, J.D. or graduate degree preferred
- Trade compliance experience working in house, at customs brokerage, or at a consulting firm preferred.
- Four (4) years or more experience in classification of a broad range of commodities, including apparel.
- Proficiency with Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) and Export Control Classification Number (ECCN).
- A fundamental understanding of valuation, duty minimization and avoidance strategies, government regulations and rulings, and other trade information.
- Ability to navigate complex rules and regulations.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and detail-oriented with superior organizational, multi-tasking, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively independently and within a team environment.
- Expertise with Microsoft Office suite and Google equivalents.
- Mastery of email communication. You keep the inbox at zero.
- High level of computer literacy. No paper. All digital.
- Ability to multi-task and manage various project elements simultaneously
- Courage to challenge the status quo when logic and reason require it. See something broken? Fix it.
Investing your time with Flexport means keeping pace with a rapidly growing business, learning new skills, and seeking opportunities to think from end to end. We appreciate your contributions to making Flexport an amazing place to work and we encourage upwards or lateral movement and transfers that align with current business needs and help Flexport deliver on its mission and unlock the potential in our team members.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.