Director of Automated Portfolio Solutions
The Group: The Investment Management group consists of our Managed Portfolios and Workplace solutions teams. The Automated Portfolio Solutions (APS) team is part of the Workplace investment team. Within Morningstar Investment Management, LLC, the Workplace group offers a range of retirement solutions, including managed accounts and advice service by acting in a fiduciary capacity; IFE, 3(28), or 3(21) capacity. The Automated Portfolio Solutions team is in charge of managing the investment-level decisions for over 30,000 unique fund lineups for Defined Contribution plan sponsors that are using Morningstar’s Managed Accounts Solution ($60 billion + in AUM). APS team members use proprietary fund selection and portfolio optimization methodology and software to construct and oversee a wide range of portfolios that meet or exceed numerous quality assurance thresholds. The Automated Portfolio Solutions team and broader Workplace investment management team, work in conjunction with the research team, the Advice Engines team, the operations team, and the Workplace client services team to quickly build and maintain well-diversified fund portfolios while helping our clients to understand our portfolio construction process.
The Role: Morningstar Investment Management seeks a Director of Automated Portfolio Solutions to lead the global Automated Portfolio Solutions team. The position reports to the head of the Workplace investment management team. The person will blend people leadership/management, portfolio construction expertise, client facing skills, and operational know how. The person will oversee the global Automated Portfolio Solutions team, including our U.S. and China-based teams. As our Workplace business grows, the successful candidate will be able to work efficiently to meet the evolving needs of our clients for different service levels and service level agreements. The position is based in our Chicago office, but will require weekly off-hour calls with our international team as well as periodic domestic and international travel.
- Oversee the global Automated Portfolio Solutions team.
- Serve as an internal and external automated portfolio construction expert.
- Work with our Research and Engines teams to strive for continuous improvement and efficiency gains.
- Ensure that the Automated Portfolio Solutions team grows to meet the evolving needs of Workplace.
- Represent our automated portfolio construction capabilities with current clients and prospects.
- Partner with Workplace product managers to develop and refine our service offerings.
- 4 years of investment experience with emphasis on mutual fund research / analysis, asset allocation, and portfolio construction.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or a related field. MBA and/or CFA designation is a plus.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Advanced Excel skills, including VBA are desirable.
- Knowledge of quantitative methods.
- Excellent time management skills, attention to detail, and a knack for number crunching and problem solving are desired.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
002_MIMLLC Morningstar Investment Management LLC Legal Entity