Root is looking for a creative leader to drive our annual audit plan in the role of Internal Audit Director. In this role, you’ll identify and implement strategic goals and develop policies and procedures for the organization. You’ll be asked to push the boundaries of what you know, and continue to learn quickly as you coach and mentor employees to identify and mitigate risk. We’re looking for someone with a passion for building programs through collaboration in a fast-paced work environment. Our goal is to develop our Internal Audit team to support the current high-growth phase and beyond.
What you’ll be doing.
- Contribute to the development of the annual audit plan.
- Execute the approved annual audit plan, including scheduling, prioritization (by applying judgement) and resourcing of all engagements with a focus on reporting issues to improve processes and controls in a timely basis.
- Communicate results of various internal audit engagements and other activities, including any significant risk exposures and control issues, fraud risks, governance issues and other matters requiring attention to VP Internal Audit.
- Assist and oversee the development of budgeted hours for each audit, track status of audit progress and escalate any challenges to complete the assignment within the budgeted hours to the VP Internal Audit.
- Collaborate with team and/or co-sourced partner to build and maintain procedures for the execution of audits in accordance with the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (Standards) promogulated by the Institute of Internal Auditors, local regulators and industry guidance.
- Oversee the audit process cycle from planning, fieldwork, report issuance and issue remediation in a timely manner.
- Review final audit communications, presentation of issues/recommendations and audit report to ensure appropriate quality and compliance with internal requirements.
- Cultivate relationships with business management of the area relevant to the audit engagements to ensure (i) assurance activity targets the key risks and strategic agenda and (ii) findings reported are appropriately vetted, root cause of the issues are agreed upon and practical action plans are developed to support an effective internal control environment.
- Assist in creating and executing audit department strategic goals, which will help build a world-class audit function.
- Work collaboratively with VP Internal Audit and co-source team to effectively communicate and educate business partners, including non-finance individuals, on the importance of controls and an effective control environment.
- Provide consultative support to the business with ongoing improvement recommendations including the identification of opportunities for streamlining and automation.
- Collaborate with SOX Controls team to comply with Section 404 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act which would include consulting on the implementation plan, ensuring execution across the organization and facilitating testing and operating effectiveness of internal controls.
- Provide support with the preparation of reports for the Audit Committee and Senior Management on the status of audit plan, as needed.
- Collaborate with external auditors on audit requests and audit plan updates, as needed.
- Work cross functionally to assist with the establishment and on-going maintenance of a company-wide Enterprise Risk Management framework.
What we are looking for.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related fieldCPA or CIA certification
- 10+ years-experience in public accounting and/or industry
- Relevant experience (preferably insurance or financial services)
- SaaS or Technology industry experience a plus
- Minimum of five years of supervisory experience
- Early stage company/pre-IPO to post-IPO a plus
- Strong understanding of professional audit standards, COSO, Sarbanes-Oxley Act and risk assessment practices
- Strong interpersonal skills, including verbal and written communication skills, ability to clearly and concisely interface with all levels of management
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with excellent attention to detail
- Strong leadership skills with demonstrated track record
- Ability to lead others in a way that motivates and inspires them to achieve desired outcomes
- Excellent customer focus, including ability to manage various interactions with the ability to strike a balance between oversight and getting buy-in from business partners
- Ability to quickly assimilate relevant information in unfamiliar situations in a fast- paced environment
- Strong organizational and project management skills, ability to manage multiple priorities
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.