Director of IT at Farmer's Fridge
Farmer’s Fridge was founded in Chicago in 2013 with the mission of making wholesome, delicious food easily accessible, so people can live a little happier and healthier. Our network of 300+ software-enabled smart Fridges vend handcrafted salads, grain bowls, sandwiches, and more. We are striving to change the food system from the ground up – one Fridge at a time.
At our core, we are a team that cares – about the business, the impact our product makes, and about each other. We are data-driven, innovative, and quick to move on a good idea. Transparency and collaboration are key to our process, as Farmer’s Fridge is a fast-paced work environment where things are always evolving. We’re proud to have a tight-knit team where people bring their A game every day.
Various team and company social events and town halls keep us connected to each other as well as aligned and focused on our short and long term goals. We’re opening Fridges weekly across the country and are looking for people with passion, ingenuity, and moxie to join our team and help us fulfill our mission of making healthy food as accessible as a candy bar!
Farmer’s Fridge is looking for an experienced Director of Data Engineering to build and lead our data platform and data pipeline efforts. You will help build out a team of skilled data engineers responsible for building and owning data pipelines that will support all of the analytics, business intelligence, data science and reporting needs across the organization.
The Director of Data Engineering will be in a position to build the foundation for the data and insights platform using the latest technologies that will allow for scale. Experience with cloud providers, data warehousing, data streaming, and data visualization platforms/technologies a must.
About the role:
Farmer’s Fridge is seeking a Director of Information Systems to lead the development and maintenance of our business systems platform and solution architecture. This individual will provide leadership and vision to support the team’s high growth, expansion into new markets, and product lines.
Farmer’s Fridge employs a pure public cloud-based strategy for hosting its innovative proprietary technology platforms and vended systems, as well as utilizing SaaS applications. Our ideal candidate will have experience in driving this strategy forward, while promoting integration to drive automation, enable centralized application, as well as compliance and security management.
What kind of person are we looking for?
- Strong communicator - you’re able to explain complex ideas to anyone at any level, and are adept at explaining “the why” to gain buy in, alignment, and build trust
- Open-minded - you approach projects holistically, and always keep your eyes peeled for opportunities to kill two birds with one stone
- Efficiency-obsessed and process-driven
- You’re able to manage the long-term vision with the short-term need (We love the analogy of building an airplane at 30,000 feet). We have a number of processes that are in the midst of optimization and improvement, but need daily execution in parallel.
- Transparent, flexible, and open to new ideas - we are building something that has never been built before, no one has all the answers
In a typical week, you will…
- Work cross-functionally to analyze business requirements and operational procedures, and identify improvement opportunities through technology solutions
- Manage the technological infrastructure, hardware and software necessary to support organizational needs, including oversight of an IT Managed Services vendor
- Establish and promotes company-wide IT standards and policies
- Provide strategic leadership for the company by working with the Executive Team to establish long-range goals, strategies, plans and policies
- Develop and execute strategy to increase data security compliance in adherence with standards, such as PCI, for end-user devices, internal business systems, and cloud-based storage and productivity/collaboration tools
- Set overall goals, performance standards, and operational priorities for team and manages to operational goals and budget
- Establish business continuity and disaster recovery plans to improve overall resiliency
- Keep up-to-date on information and technology trends to increase innovation, ensure compliance, and mitigate security threats and risks
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, MIS or related field
- 10+ years experience in Information Systems (IS)
- 3+ years management experience in a high growth environment
- Vendor management experience, including software negotiation and hardware/professional services contracts and licenses
- SaaS integration experience via the use of integration products and APIs
- Public Cloud Hosting (AWS preferred) experience
- Security Infrastructure/SSO experience with SaaS and public cloud-hosted applications
- Extensive experience in SDLC methodologies, including Agile
Benefits at Farmer's Fridge:
Happier Weekdays - Walking into the office should fill you with joy, not dread. We're a fun and passionate group, and we don't take ourselves too seriously. Bring your unique self to work, dress comfortably, and always feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. We encourage curiosity and inquiry; there's no hierarchy here when we're all swapping ideas around the cold brew tap.
Never run on empty - Daily Farmer's Fridge meal, Monday bagels, draft cold brew, office snacks, and Friday happy hours are just some of the offerings to make sure you aren't distracted by a growling stomach.
Take a break - Check out what new products Chef is testing in the R&D kitchen, challenge a coworker to a game of Fridgeopology, rally a spontaneous happy hour at Goose Island down the street, start a heated debate on the best M&M flavor with a poll in Slack, or jump in on a team kickball game!
Innovate & Elevate - We're all teachers and learners. You'll grow, and help grow the company through cross-functional collaboration, open access to leadership, and regular business updates. You have a direct impact on the bottom line. Own it. Literally - with company equity you have the opportunity to share directly in our success. You can also participate in our 401(k) plan that includes a company match with immediate vesting.
Farmer’s Fridge is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
View our disclosures related to External Agencies and Applicants below: https://www.farmersfridge.com/careerdisclosures