About the Role
The Managed Investment Data team seeks an enthusiastic, outcome-oriented Director to drive innovation and quality in the methodologies underlying our managed investment data and analytics. This is a global mandate that includes, but is not limited to, mutual funds, exchange-traded products, client portfolios, and other investment vehicles. The Director will lead a team of deep subject matter experts working across groups in research, technology, products, and client service. The team primarily focuses on methodology development and support of content such as performance, operational descriptors, asset allocation, and categorization. This also includes stewardship over and support of Morningstar’s key intellectual properties related to rankings, ratings and the Morningstar Style Box. This position is based in Chicago.
• Oversee multiple projects concurrently. Proactively drive new initiatives through research, documentation, implementation, and communication of new data and methodologies.
• Be the voice of Morningstar Data on industry and regulatory matters. Actively engage with industry bodies and clients to research and recommend methodology- and content-related enhancements and improvements.
• Serve as a managed investment data subject matter expert internally and externally with clients, acting as an escalation point for client issues and meetings.
• Support sales effort and meet prospects when called upon to provide answers to questions related to data, analytics and functionality.
• Provide a vital junction between Research, Data, Solutions, & Product teams to ensure successful implementation of complex projects.
• Work with local leadership, Data Consultants, and other relevant regional teams to balance global standards with regional needs.
• Manage, build, and develop team of subject matter experts. Foster a team dynamic that is motivated to improve the investor and customer experience.
• Passion for investing and analytics. Have a genuine belief in Morningstar’s core values.
• Superior business judgement; analytical, planning and decision-making skills; exemplary communication and presentation abilities.
• Experience growing and managing teams, directly or indirectly.
• Action-oriented, motivated by high goals and possessing an entrepreneurial mind-set.
• Demonstrated ability to develop solid internal and external partnerships; and work effectively across different business and functional areas, such as Research, Technology, Sales, Client Service, and Product.
• Experience working directly with asset managers or third-party data vendors
• Willingness to work with offshore development teams during off-hours.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality regarding new IP with external parties.
• Knowledge of Morningstar research processes, Morningstar Data, and Morningstar Direct.
Nice to have
• Skills in data processing, data sciences, and statistical analysis.
• Experience utilizing LEAN, Six Sigma, or Agile tools in a project management or data operations setting is a plus.
• Experience working with Morningstar’s internal database tools and data collection processes, including DataManager, XOI, RDB, and TSDB is a plus.