Director of Operations
Title: Director of Operations
- Initiates ideas and issues that need to be resolved: Goes beyond expectations in the assignment, task or job description without being asked. Demonstrates a positive attitude towards getting things done. Digs beneath the obvious to get at the facts, even when not asked to do so.
- Passion for thriving in a complex, ever-changing start-up environment: This position will be adaptable and will thrive in ambiguous situations. They will be driven by urgency and intolerant of complacency.
- This position will look for ways to make changes to work rather than only identifying why change will not work. Adapts to change quickly and easily. Makes suggestions for increasing the effectiveness of changes. Shows willingness to learn new methods, procedures, or techniques, resulting from departmental change.
- Double-checks the accuracy of information and work product to provide accurate and consistent work. Carefully monitors the details and quality of their own and others’ work. Expresses concern that things be done right, thoroughly, and precisely.
- Develop and Execute Departmental Vision & Strategy: This position will be responsible for supporting the departmental vision, strategy and operating goals. Within their areas of responsibility, they are responsible for building a culture of accountability and success. This individual will be responsible for ensuring that this vision is clearly communicated to all members of their team and it is reinforced on an ongoing basis until the department is aligned to and executes the vision.
- Effectively Lead Department: This individual will take an active role in building and developing a strong, results-driven team. Will partner with HR Department to ensure the department is properly staffed and trained. Will reinforce a positive working environment by modeling a positive leadership style, ongoing communications with the team, celebrating success and rewarding outstanding performance. Will provide leadership and management skills to build a cohesive Operations team. This position will also take an active role in the development of the team by training, coaching and mentoring them in preparation for future growth.
- Relationship Management: This role will participate in communications and updates with key clients; including presenting at client meetings, sharing appropriate reports, etc. They will assist in coordinating monthly status updates with the customer and be the point of contact for senior management at key customers. They will be responsible for maintaining and developing a relationship with key customers, negotiating with customers, and resolving customer concerns with a high sense of urgency.
- Financial Accountability: This position will ensure the achievement of financial goals through forecasting, budgeting, strategic planning, reporting and monitoring financial performance. This individual will analyze business/financial data and develop innovative solutions. They manage the department budget and ensure timely and accurate reporting and will make adjustments and updates, as necessary, to ensure financial results are achieved.
- Operate within the Organization’s Financial, Legal, and Ethical Policies: This position is responsible for informing senior management of operational, budgetary or resource issues/obstacles in a timely fashion. They must be familiar and comply with company rules and policies. They will lead by example and model behaviors that are consistent with the company’s values.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Minimum of 5-7 years of related operational experience as a regional operations leader is required, preferably in a small box retail environment.
- Experience successfully leading a team or department, preferably in a high growth environment
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills with proven experience in developing strategic solutions
- Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on complex topics to employees, customers, and senior management
- Ability to motivate and negotiate effectively with key employees, top management, and customer to take desired action
- Ability to balance client needs and demands with process and integrity, and guide client and team appropriately
- Ability to quickly gain respect of executives and other internal/external customers
- Proactive, forward-thinking and passionate about Operations
- Ability to effectively share knowledge across competencies and mentor members of the team
- Strong financial acumen
- Addresses challenges directly in a constructive manner in order to resolve issues quickly
- Ability to communicate clearly and directly
- Strong ability to work with a variety of personality types
- Ability to gather insight from a variety of sources (e.g., people, documentation, outside sources)
- Superior written and verbal communication skills are a must
- Viewed as a trusted leader within the company and project teams
- Must welcome responsibility, challenge, and decision-making
- A strategic thinker who can contribute to an operations strategy while also being tactical and hands-on in the rollout of operational initiatives
- Domestic travel upwards of 20%
- This is a full time, exempt position
Read Full Job Description