Expert Storage Engineer
Reporting to the Storage Manager you’ll be an expert technologist, supporting the mission critical storage infrastructure that underpins all of Ensono’s clients. Focused on the storage estate you’ll be covering a broad spectrum of vendors and technologies, ensuring peak operational performance and resiliency is maintained at all times. You will use your knowledge and experience to mentor the existing Storage Team members, and help influence the ongoing development & transformation of the team.
The Storage Team are responsible for maintaining and improving the Storage environment that supports our client estates through:
• Investigation and troubleshooting of Incidents and Problems
• Active life cycle management process and initiatives
• Driving end of life data migrations
• Provisioning storage
• Monitoring available performance and capacity levels within the estate
• Building strong relationships with your peers and the clients
• Driving call escalations to vendor support
You’ll hit the ground running with ongoing projects at scale to migrate 2+PB of data from EMC VMAX2 to VMAX3 and Unity platforms. You’ll have a passion for process streamlining and automation, with current storage platform selection criteria including automatable tools as a requirement. EMC VMAX, Unity, NetApp, SolidFire, 3PAR are the primary platforms under management – with a little bit of everything else as well! You’ll be joining a globally situated team of storage specialists, sharing joint responsibility with your team members across a diverse global estate means there is never a dull moment and active tasks to complete. You could be driving a high client profile storage performance investigation and mentoring your peers as you work; working with project teams on storage platform consumption targets; or making a difference to your team by successfully automating that one provisioning task no-one has been able to crack yet.
- As an Expert engineer, you will be able to function efficiently and autonomously to achieve key strategic goals for the team, and effectively manage your time across parallel work streams.
- You will evangelize and drive automation and process efficiency throughout the estate
- Broaden your own significant knowledge to encompass all Ensono platforms, and disseminate it throughout the team and organization with quality documentation and education.
- Rapid and accurate troubleshooting capability to resolve complex client impacting events in record time.
- Work across teams effectively, engaging with Project Managers, System Administrators, Solution Architects and client business leaders on the full gamut of storage centric tasks.
- Participation in a 24x7 on-call rotation
- Demonstrate and adhere to a strong focus on change/incident/problem management
- Excellent storage array administration skills (EMC, NetApp, SolidFire)
- Excellent SAN administration skills (on Brocade and Cisco)
- Storage-specific scripting capability and experience
- Very strong demonstrable storage knowledge (breadth and depth)
- Experience across multiple transport technologies (FC, iSCSI, CIFS, NFS, REST)
- Experience managing diverse storage platforms over a multi petabyte estate
- Solid understanding of networking concepts (as related to intersite replication and NAS)
- Strong understanding of higher level storage consumer systems (unix, windows, vmware, oracle, SAP, SQL)
- Experience streamlining work effort and redistributing to lower tier resource within an organisation
- Experience within a Managed Service Provider, working on multi-tenant platforms
- Experience with 3PAR, IBM storage, Mainframe technologies
- Excellent demonstrable English written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem solving focus
- Ownership of tasks and workstreams
- Strong work ethic, able to self-prioritise and work autonomously
- Able to build strong relationships with peers, clients and vendors
- Able to communicate in groups with confidence and conviction
- Ability to document processes and procedures in a clear, concise and logical manner
- At least 7 years’ experience in a storage focused role
- Demonstrable automation successes
- Experience running mission critical systems within a multi-site data centre environment
- In-depth experience with ITIL processes
- Tertiary education in a computing-related discipline (Bachelors +)
- ITIL qualifications
- Relevant industry certifications