Head of Global Real Estate and Facilities at Groupon
Are you excited by the opportunity to own a global real estate portfolio?
Groupon’s mission is to become the daily habit in local commerce and fulfill our purpose of building strong communities through growing small businesses by connecting people to a dynamic, global marketplace for local services, experiences and goods. In the process, we’re positively impacting the lives of millions of customers and merchants globally. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success. If you want to take more ownership of your career, then you're ready to be part of Groupon.
Our Groupon Procurement team builds partnerships between stakeholders and strategic vendors across all company spend. We take a multi-disciplinary approach to procurement, combining spend category expertise, industry knowledge, and financial acumen. We have a front row seat to identify upcoming opportunities and challenges for Groupon. We develop our team's skills and capabilities to optimize for these market changes, in consultation with company senior leaders.
As Groupon's Head of Real Estate, you will manage our global real estate portfolio across multiple countries and continents. By partnering with real estate brokers as well as internal teams, you will lead all of the transactional aspects related to our office spaces. As leader of the Facilities team, you will also lead capital budget development for new offices or facilities and ensure that the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed when it comes to contractual obligations.
We're a "best of both worlds" kind of company. We're big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We're curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a compelling place to work?
You’ll spend time on the following:
- You will run all transactional aspects with our real estate brokers, lease administrator database, legal, finance and accounting teams for our global offices
- You will direct the appropriate resources to prepare recommendations on the right real estate needs based on clear synthesis of facts, analyses, and employee/Works Council concerns
- Ensure new offices are selected in alignment with company’s strategic growth plan, meet brand standards, and are within expected operating cost structure
- You will work closely with Finance in preparing financial analysis (NPV/IRR) on economic value of multiple transaction scenarios
- Drive review of lease agreements with business, facilities, legal, finance, accounting, tax, insurance and treasury teams for CPO approval and signature
- You will handle monthly communications regarding changes to the real estate portfolio, budget, and timeline
- Identify potential at risk real estate moves and renewals to ensure timely transaction completion; handle restoration negotiations as required when vacating
- Drive capital budget development for new office or facility moves, fit-outs, renovations and restorations while partnering with accounting on lease FASB accounting changes
- Dedicatedly lead portfolios and engage all partners to get the best deal possible for the organization
- You will ensure real estate leases are optimized with regard to ongoing payments and contractual obligations; actively review common area expenses being charged to Groupon with goal to reduce costs
- Manage a staff of 20 employees and dozens of vendors globally who oversee the day-to-day running of our offices - mailroom, reception, cleaning, maintenance.
We're excited about you if you have:
- Degree in accounting, finance, facility/property management, real estate law, or related field; additional licensing, certification, or master’s degree (MBA) preferred
- Track record of someone who can go into the details on projects and execute on the analysis
- Global exposure. Experience dealing with foreign real estate transactions
- Global facilities management and project management experience.
- Strong finance background handling large budgets and reducing SG&A costs
- 5+ years managing teams remotely
- 10+ years running global real estate portfolios including a corporate headquarters
- Experience leading lease negotiations as well as following up on contractual lease obligations
- You've led myriad successful procurement efforts and are comfortable (and excel at) negotiating and handling multi-million dollar budgets
- You can point to concrete examples of times you've saved your company millions YoY through savvy decision-making
- You have phenomenal communication skills, both verbal and written, especially with remote teams
- You are nimble, creative, and dynamic—adapting to change comes naturally for you
- You're able to collaborate with teammates from all levels of the organization
- You have a knack for presenting complex information and analytics in a clear, concise way
- Occasional overnight domestic and week-long international travel required
- Bonus points if you bring any of the following language skills to the table: French, German, Japanese, Italian, Polish, or Spanish
Groupon’s purpose is to build strong communities through thriving small businesses. To learn more about the world’s largest local ecommerce marketplace, click here for the latest Groupon news. Plus, be sure to check out the values that shape our culture, guide our strategy and make our company a great place to work. And just don’t take our word for it. Hear from real Groupon team members and learn more about our employee resource groups. If all of this sounds like something that’s a great fit for you, then click apply and let’s see where this takes us.