Head of Ocean Operations at Flexport
Head of Ocean Operations, NA
The role of the Head of Ocean Operations, NA is a critical part of making Flexport’s mission to make global trade easy for everyone a reality. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries. In this role, your direct customers are the partners within your region: our account management and customs teams, subcontractors, carriers, terminals and trucking providers. Your work directly supports Flexport’s end customers in achieving their logistics goals. Most importantly, you will play a pivotal role in building the next operational model at Flexport: allowing us to effectively scale to achieve our mission of making global trade easier for everyone.
This role is designed to be the senior operations leader for Flexport’s largest market and product line, North American Ocean Operations: designing and building the new model of operations at Flexport while strategically leading the region team through the complex world of logistics. You will work cross-functionally to navigate ambiguous challenges and establish a world-class operating team designed to catapult Flexport to realizing its mission. At this stage in Flexport's journey, we understand that great leadership is what will help us achieve our goal. We are looking for best-in-class leadership that can articulate a clear vision and excite teams to execute it day in and day out.
As an operations executive, you are a seasoned operator experienced in scaling, running and continuously improving high volume logistics service operations. You have a sustained track record of high performance leadership across these dimensions: people, process, technology and data with a passion for empowered front line operators synonymous to the toyota production system environment. Your passion is to build teams and grow operations talent with a track record of implementing logistics management technology.
- You will set and drive the operations strategy and operating cadence to deliver on Quality, Cost, Delivery, Safety and Compliance commitments to Flexport.
- You will design and implement standardized and repeatable operational processes, mistake proofing and technology automation to ensure profitable Flexport value delivery to customers.
- You will build a vibrant organization with modern talent development principles, with an emphasis on learning and competency development.
- You will set the strategy and roadmap for regional operations development to deliver new service offerings, perfect existing service offerings and continuously evolve the team and footprint to scale operations in line with growth and future strategies.
- You will empower the front line teams to achieve the highest standard of Flexport quality: designing the right expectations on individual performance, talent management, process excellence and technology adoption. You will be responsible for communicating and sustaining achievement of key performance indicators and service performance.
- You will lead the development and execution of OKRs, business plans and budgets for the North America operations region.
- You will provide leadership and direction to a high-performance team across US and Canada including an extended team in Manila Philippines.
- You will run a high total-motivation (TOMO) culture blending structure, autonomy and velocity by driving play, purpose and potential into the fabric of the team.
- You will contribute to the expansion and positive growth of Flexport unit economics and profitability.
- You will contribute to technology product and engineering teams to develop and implement technology features and functions.
- You will design and implement execution standards and procedures to deliver differentiated logistics services to market.
- You will act as a strategic expert and leader to your global counterparts in EU and Asia, product & engineering, operational excellence, sales and account management to deliver customer and business results.
What you will need:
- 15+ years of operations leadership including 5+ in a senior or executive role leading multi-site, technology enabled, high volume ocean freight operations.
- Verifiable track record of developing operations talent from operational excellence principles
- Experience working at the logistics and technology intersection
We’re looking for a leader that has:
- Intellectual horsepower and energy to integrate Talent, Process, and Technology into a 10x scale ready system.
- Demonstrated ability to lead large multi-site operations teams in day-to-day execution and process improvement, including leading manager of managers.
- Passion to serve customers in freight or logistics services and experiencing working with commercial teams to translate customer needs into standardized and repeatable operations procedures.
- Process and Systems end to end thinking able to continuously map and connect the dots
- Strategic vision and ground floor execution
- World class communicator, written and verbal
- Client service mindset - obsessed with repeatable and scalable customer success
- A deep passion for technology, process and scaling operations
- The pedigree and chops to attract, train, develop and prepare the next generation of Flexport operations leaders.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.