Head of Trading
Topstep is a high-growth, innovative, B2C company challenging the traditional retail trading model in the futures, foreign exchange and equities spaces. Having attracted over 30,000 traders from more than 160 countries since launching in 2012, we are not slowing down anytime soon!
A career at Topstep places you at the intersection of technology, finance, and marketing for one of the fastest growing companies in Chicago. We were named #14 on Crain’s Best Places to Work 2018, and have also earned recognition on the 2017 Inc. 5000 list of the fastest-growing private companies in the U.S. We are growing our passionate team, user base, and business model, all the while reinventing the retail brokerage industry.
At Topstep, individuals fully own their roles and are charged with meaningfully driving results. We work fast and continuously optimize our products to reach more and more traders worldwide.
The Head of Trading is accountable for the profitability of Topstep’s proprietary retail futures and forex trading business.
The ideal candidate is enthusiastic about working in a fast-paced environment embracing innovation and continuously improving. S/he will have a keen attention to detail and the ability to take ideas from concept to execution. We're looking for a self-starter who learns quickly, loves technology, and has proven problem-solving and people skills.
Are you excited about this opportunity? If so, read on…
What You’ll Do
- Successfully lead daily operations of Topstep’s proprietary trading business, including but not limited to: oversee capital allocation, facilitate strong cross-departmental communication, and lead the Risk Management Team.
- Establish and implement a profitable strategy for Topstep, designed to increase the upside potential and reduce the downside risk.
- Establish and cultivate relationships with partners.
- Identify new business opportunities and partnerships to enhance our traders’ experiences.
- Improve the processes and procedures to provide a great experience throughout the user journey.
- Manage profit and loss statements.
- Assist in budget preparation and expense management activities.
- Review trader performance, costs, operations, withdrawals, and forecast data to establish and determine progress toward meeting stated goals and objectives.
- Evaluate and decide upon key investments in equipment and technology for Topstep.
- Ensure we adhere to evolving legal and compliance changes.
- Contribute to broader organizational strategic planning.
- Ensure risk management solutions (automated and manual) work flawlessly 24/7/365.
- Keep apprised of changing elements of the industry including technology, brokerages, fees, etc.
- Report on the key drivers of the department to the Executive Team on a recurring basis.
- Provide direct management and leadership to members of the Topstep team.
- Forecast future hiring needs and oversee recruiting, onboarding and orientation for new team members.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Business or related field.
- 5+ years of management experience in a team-oriented workplace
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop a department and team members
- Must be business-minded with strategic thinking abilities
- Experience as a trader
- 5+ years in a risk management or similar role
- Demonstrated reporting and presentation skills
- Outstanding interpersonal relationship skills
- Strong ability to coach and develop team members
- Exceptional written and spoken communication skills
What You’ll Enjoy
- Competitive salary and bonus incentives
- A culture of development and innovation
- Excellent medical, dental, vision, life, long-term/short-term disability insurance, and 401k retirement plan with company match
- Generous paid time off, which increases annually, and paid holidays
- Paid maternity leave
- Ability to learn about the financial markets and trading industry from experienced professionals
- Opportunities to work from home
- Summer Friday (flexible) hours
- Great perks: team events and happy hours, paid volunteer days, catered lunches, birthday and anniversary celebrations, cereal and snack bar, and much more.
Is TopstepTrader the place for you? If so, apply today! We can’t wait to hear from you.
Direct applicants only, no recruiters, please.