Defines IT architecture to ensure that the organization's IT solutions are built within a consistent framework and aligned to strategy. Implements and may lead activities that generally impact multiple components / processes and the work of own and possibly other teams. Assigned highly-complex, strategic undertakings that regularly require the application of independent judgment and creativity. Receives work in short, mid- and long- term outcomes and operates within the context of defined operating outcomes.
- Leads the creation of or creates design documents that ensure consistency in development across the IT organization. Leads the definition of software architecture to ensure that the IT organization's software solutions are built within a consistent framework.
- Leads the decision-making processes related to the selection of software architecture solutions.
- Serves as a technical and business-savvy resource to software engineering personnel on a wide range of software design issues.
- Implements and improves core software infrastructure. Participates in improving software development lifecycle, technical operations and technology innovation.
- Develops technical / business approaches and new or enhanced technical tools.
- Shares highly-complex information related to areas of expertise and/or to gain acceptance of new or enhanced technology / business solutions.
- Anticipates and prevents problems and roadblocks before they occur.
- Performs systems and applications performance characterization and trade-off studies through analysis and simulation.
- Leads development teams on projects to guide timely and accurate delivery of new features or technical improvements.
- Develops the technical “vision” and designs specifications of assigned projects and may perform as implementation lead.
- Mentors less experienced members of the team. Leads teams / projects and implementations.
- Provides subject matter expertise to less experienced team members. May participate in teaching and training members of work team.
- May represent IT Technology in internal or external forums.
Walgreens (walgreens.com), one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), a global leader in retail and wholesale pharmacy. Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health, beauty and retail destination supporting communities across the country, and was named to FORTUNE* magazine’s 2019 Companies that Change the World list. Approximately 8 million customers interact with Walgreens in stores and online each day. As of August 31, 2019, Walgreens operates 9,277 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, along with its omnichannel business, Walgreens.com. Walgreens also provides specialty pharmacy and mail services and offers in-store clinics and other health care services throughout the United States, most of which are operated by our health care strategic partners.
- Bachelor's degree and at least 6 years of experience in an IT engineering role OR High school / GED and at least 9 years of experience in an IT engineering role.
- At least 4 years of leadership experience in server side or client side technologies
- Experience in domain-specific architecture concepts and emerging technologies. (Design patterns, frameworks, current Java based solutions, mobile, OR Infrastructure Administration OR Data Sciences)
- At least 2 year of experience in domain-specific Architecture.
- Experience working with matrix teams including teams in different time zones;
- Experience creating and promoting guiding development principles and influencing development teams, business users and management in adoption of technical solutions.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Master's Degree in Computer Science, Information technology, Engineering, Science, or Math.