Overview of Role
What we need:
TransUnion works with businesses and consumers to gather, analyze, and deliver critical information needed to build strong economies around the world. We help 45,000+ businesses manage risk, and 500 million consumers understand and manage credit.
To do this, we rely on a server infrastructure that’s critical to the business. As our VMware Systems Engineer, you will be responsible for the design, implementation and support of the VMware infrastructure for the corporate campus in Chicago and field locations around the country. You will define, maintain, communicate, and implement standards consistent with established architecture and strategy.
Who you’ll work with:
In this role, you will be part of the Virtualization and Server Infrastructure Team and will work closely with the following teams:
- Open Systems, Windows Server, and various others to provide a virtual platform for RHEL, Windows, and appliances using VMware ESXi
- Network and Storage teams to create/support the virtual platform
- VMware Horizon View as part of supporting the overall virtual desktop infrastructure
- Onsite 24/7 Enterprise Operations Center to enable them to provide level 1 support
- Project Management Office to create high-level resource plans used to staff projects
- Enterprise Architecture to create capability roadmaps and perform vendor evaluations
- Team members who are SME’s for our Dell, Cisco UCS and Tintri implementation
- Various application teams as part of performance evaluation and tuning
Outside of ESXi the Team utilizes other software products such as VMware vROPs to manage the virtual infrastructure performance and capacity, vCenter Orchestrator to automate routine VMware tasks and the provisioning of Windows and RHEL systems.
Inside and outside the organization, you will establish and maintain strong collaborative relationships with strategic partners as well as critical IT infrastructure service providers. That can also entail coordinating activities with vendors as required.
What you’ll bring
As a Lead VMware Systems Engineer, you should have 8+ years progressive x86 server, VMware, and either RHEL or Windows experience. 2+ years’ experience with Dell and/or Tintri and/or Cisco UCS is also required. In addition, you should have a Bachelor’s Degree in a related technical field or similar discipline.
- Ability to design and implement an enterprise-wide virtual infrastructure using ESXi v6.x
- Ability to design and implement an enterprise-wide Dell/Tintri/Cisco UCS solution
- vSphere and vCenter
- Distributed virtual switch configuration
- HA, DRS, server and storage vMotion
- Tintri, SAN and disk configuration and troubleshooting
- Network configuration and troubleshooting
- Capacity management and system tuning
- VMware Horizon View
- Experience with automation and innovation using scripts or 3rd party tools
- Experience creating and using VROPS dashboards and Splunk dashboards is a plus
- Ability to lead a technical project team to design new solutions
- Ability to interface with project managers to provide plans and estimates for complex tasks
- Ability to manage demand in concurrent projects to plan
- Ability to instill quality in every aspect of the job function