Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
Responsible for providing tier 2/3 level support of a large scale global mixed media network communications environment supporting mission critical customer applications. Provides problem solving, analysis, resolution, post mortem and support of the more advanced efforts in support of Production environments. Implements and supports changes, performs proactive Trend Analysis to ensure optimal performance of the network and audit compliance and provides analysis and consultation to peers.
Discover’s Network Operations Technical Services team is seeking a Network Automation Engineer whose primary responsibilities are to develop applications for automating network-related functions, gathering telemetry data for monitoring and reporting, and identifying areas that can benefit from automation. Tech Services team members are top-level technical contributors with advanced industry knowledge and company-related expertise in automation development, programming, networking, and related hardware and software. Individuals must demonstrate a versatile skill set in a variety of technologies applicable to developing automation for networking infrastructure. This role will specifically focus on deploying automation and analytics to support Discover’s network.
The Network Operations Center supports a large and complex array of devices that require monitoring, telemetry, configuration management and custom analytics. The focus of this developer is to create tools that enable the organization to be able to resolve problems faster, proactively resolve problems before they become critical and reduce the amount of service impacting events.
- Production Support Efforts - provides Tier 2/3 suppport for problem solving and fault isolation of of extended, complex and/or chronic network issues, provide 7x24x365 on-call support, perform post mortem review and analysis on significant outages, analyze network outages and recommendations for improvement, develops plans for chronic issues, performs Carrier analysis, manages Disaster Recovery efforts/scripts, develops tools and procedures for the network to enhance the monitoring capabilities for the Network Operations Center and maintain all Network Operations Management Systems
- Manages Engineering Implementation and Change Activity, consults and provides support the Engineering team related to Change activity, Validation of Change activiy, perform Change activity for Network Operations activity, develop Network Operations Validation and Certification plans, and support all Engineering projects.
- Performs a variety of recurring activities to maintain PCI Compliance, support and provide information for multiple Audits, provide training to the Network Operations team.
- Provides guidance to other Engineers as Subject Matter Experts.
- Deliver on automating routine task completion, troubleshooting, alerting & tooling to resolve complex networking issues.
- Develop & manage internally developed tools for managing & maintaining critical network infrastructure.
- Gathering metrics, telemetry, and configuration data from a variety of networking devices
- Use data to develop tools & systems used IT staff & troubleshoot & resolve networking issues.
- Work with the networking team to understand requirements for infrastructure automation.
- Provide New and ongoing Employee Training.
- Bachelor Degree in Information Technology
- 2+ years Networking or IT, or related experience
- In lieu of education, 4+ years Networking or IT, or related experience
- Cisco Industry Certification - CCNA or higher, ITIL foundations, or related certification
- 4+ years Networking or IT, or related experience Preferred
- Strong software development background with 3+ years leading software development projects in the network engineering space & Experience developing custom API's
- Automation experience on multiple platforms e.g. Cisco (Routing/Switching and ASA/FP), Palo Alto, F5 Load Balancer.
- 3+ years with Ansible, and other Python tools related to network engineering (e.g. Netmiko)
- 3+ years network engineering experience (route/switch + network services such as DNS/DHCP, Load Balancing & Firewalls).
- Experience working with external REST API's
- Working knowledge of relational (e.g. SQL style database) and nonrelational database systems (e.g. Splunk)
- Working knowledge with event and process management platforms (e.g. ServiceNow, Moogsoft)
- Working knowledge with data dashboarding platform (e.g. Grafana)
- Ability to work in a team environment (including, but not limited to sharing and reusing of existing code, strong documentation, and leveraging Git for code management
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.
Read Full Job Description