Lead System Administrator
Our Team: Technology drives our business. Our team is made up of talented infrastructure engineers, software engineers, leaders and UX professionals. We care about technology as a craft and a differentiator. We bring our global products to market with a mix of software, cloud, data centers, infrastructure, design and grit.
The Role: The Lead Systems Administrator’s role is to assist with the management and support of a Linux/Unix environment that runs on premise and in the cloud. This role is responsible for the availability, automation, performance, efficiency, scaling, monitoring and emergency response of servers, databases, and applications.
Day to Day:
- The Administrator will be expected to be ‘hands on’ with the system and individual tasks in a Linux/Unix environment
- Follow guides to implement best practices, develop efficiencies, and improve department’s scalability.
- The ability to work in a client facing, fast paced environment with minimal supervision and major responsibility.
- Define requirements and develop tools and reporting as needed by projects and operations.
- Knowledge of IT environments, technologies, system hosting infrastructure and their platforms is required.
- Common database administration tasks including monitor the health of AWS RDS MySQL databases, DynamoDB, and MongoDB
- Assistance in identifying connections and SQL queries that are responsible for abnormal load on the servers
- Use operational tools and monitoring platforms to gain in-depth knowledge, understanding, and ongoing monitoring system availability, performance, and capacity.
- Write and execute build/deployment scripts/tasks
- Implement alerting strategy that makes alerts actionable and unique.
- Stay current on emerging technologies
- Excellent Troubleshooter
- Excellent communications skills
- High degree of self-motivation
- Proficient with AWS service. AWS certification(s) is a plus
- The ability to adapt quickly to new tasks
- 5 to 7 years of Linux/Unix experience
- Strong scripting background: Bash, Python, or Perl
- Strong Database background
- Strong SQL background
- Knowledge of monitoring tools and strategy.
- Embrace collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders
- Produce detailed documentation of all work-related tasks.
- Works well within team environment
- Mentor to junior administrators
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science/engineering or related fields is required; a master’s degree is preferred
- 7+ years of work experience
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.