Lead Systems Software Engineer at Discover
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Works on more complex, less clearly defined projects under limited supervision. Applies a full understanding of established systems software development principles and best practices to analyze complex issues. Updates or modifies working methods in own role/work area without the benefit of defined procedures. The job is a specialized area of software engineering/programming focused on software that operates/controls computer hardware and provides a platform for running end-user applications, which may include operating systems, device drivers, utilities, and software, development tools such as assemblers and compilers. Develops and/or modifies systems software for internal use, conducts requirements gathering and analysis, writes code using lower-level assembly languages and/or higher-level languages, and translates/compiles into machine language for use on specific hardware. Supports software testing, deployment, and maintenance activities by correcting programming errors and coding software enhancements.
- Designs and tests vended software and non-vended solutions.
- Works closely with staff for training and mentoring opportunities.
- Supports and maintains software installations and hardware systems—lifecycle management, change management, request management, and incident management.
- Consults with the customer base to gather requirements for solution set.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Network Security, IT, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in Vended Software Support, Operating Systems, Software Support, Networking, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 6+ years of experience in Vended Software Support, Operating Systems, Software Support, Networking, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- SNMP, IBM IWS, IBM Netcool, CA-Workload AE, AppDynamics, ServiceNow, Moogsoft
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.