The Mainframe Technical Systems Services Manager will coordinate and delegate the responsibilities of the TSS Team. This team consists of L1, L2, and L3 Systems Programmers who work shifts covering 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The goal is to handle all problems as they occur as quickly as possible without involving the L3 Systems Programmer teams. This speeds recovery time and allows L3 System Programmers to work projects during their assigned shift. The Managers role will be to oversee the day-to-day functions of the team and to drive continuous improvement. Besides reviewing and handling all request and incident tickets as they come into the queues, the Team performs other functions as assigned. Primary among these is the maintenance of software authorization codes. The Team receives new codes from Procurement and installs them in a timely manner. The Team also assists other teams as the need arises; performing Storage validation after a z/OS upgrade, installing software on weekends, and assisting in off-hour projects as needed. The Manager will oversee training sessions with resources so that they can be equipped with new knowledge and skills to remain current as well as remain compliant with all customer security requirements. Manager will set yearly goals and perform quarterly reviews aligning to the Business Unit and Company.
Primary duty is to provide expertise in solving system related problems. Secondary duties involve applying vendor software license keys, updating hardware configurations, and installing vendor products.
Position requires 5 – 10 yrs. supporting MVS z/OS system environments working with components, subsystems, and any attendant OEM products. Candidates must possess thorough understanding of operating system principals and subsystem components. Team members must be able to work independently and take responsibility for system and subsystem recovery including critical OEM products.
Experience using various system monitoring software in problem determination, particularly for performance/response problems.
Strong analytical skills required for quick problem determination and isolation of root cause with emphasis on required recovery actions to minimize impact to client business. Able to perform Stand-alone and SVC dumps to aid vendor diagnostics.
ROLES and Responsibilities:
- Team members are to be available for and to respond to problem calls from operations, or other mainframe support teams.
- Research reported issue to determine cause and best circumvention and/or resolution, enlisting resources from other teams and customer, as required to provide best response time.
- Take actions to implement circumvention/resolution and verify results.
- Communicate to appropriate customer and personnel the status of issue at intervals during resolution process.
- Maintain documentation of issue cause, action, and resolution in the designated problem tracking system.
- Process configuration changes of processors and equipment to meet requirements of customers.
- Maintain list of vendor software used by customer requiring a product enablement code, documentation on means and method of applying the codes, and expiration data on the products. Apply code updates as necessary to keep products functional.
- Aid and assist other mainframe teams as required to support them and our clients.