Manager of IT Operations
The Team: The IT Operations team is responsible for building technologies and processes to ensure our global products are highly available. The IT operations team is responsible for enterprise monitoring tools, Release engineering, Change and Incident Management. Though our technologists represent a range of skills and knowledge bases, they all view technology as a craft and care deeply about driving business value by leveraging technologies. From Agile methodologies to mobile applications, to software as a service (SaaS) delivered from our private cloud, we push technology boundaries to build scalable, elegant solutions that help investors reach their financial goals.
The Role: Manager of Technology Operations provides strategic direction for the Technology Operations teams which includes the following functions; 24x7 technical support, incident management and change management. The role will be responsible for driving projects across multiple departments. Furthermore, the positions requires operational performance and driving improvements through metrics and building client relations.
- Ensure that delivery of IT Operations functions and services are performed to agreed standards and measured through key KPIs
- Facilitate design/re-design of IT Operations services, functions and infrastructure to adapt to changing business needs as and when required.
- Periodic and proactive reviews of IT Operations function and services to ensure they are fit for purpose, relevant and meet the needs of the business
- Direct the team, contributing as appropriate, to deliver excellent proactive monitoring of hardware, application software and network connections, detecting any issues and making sure they are fixed or escalated appropriately.
- Direct the team, contributing as appropriate, to ensure provision of excellent customer service by responding to and efficiently resolving client issues and requests, including partnering with data suppliers.
- Design, deploy and support solutions for problems such as high availability and high throughput
- Focus on automation: this includes partnering with Engineering team to automate deployment and configuration management, quality (including functional and capacity testing), and reaction to problems
- Provide strong leadership to the team and perform the full range of staff management as required
- Constantly evaluate ways to improve the skill set of the team and quality of their output
- Training of new Operations Engineers and continued support and training for more experienced engineers.
- Responsible for enterprise Incident management, tracking issues from discovery to resolution and next steps. Analyse data firm-wide to understand key themes
- Undertake such other duties, training and/or hours of work as may be reasonably required, and which are consistent with the general level of responsibility of this role
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical discipline with strong academic credentials.
- Ability to work in a matrix organization, working across development and product teams to meet enterprise goals
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills
- 5+ year of team management skills
- Experience of working both independently and collaboratively in a fast paced, demanding IT environment.
- 5+ years knowledge of all Windows and Linux operating systems and PC/server hardware.
- Demonstrable experience of automation
- Proficiency in either of the following: Python (3.x), Powershell
- Experience with Enterprise monitoring and CI/CD tools, direct experience of Splunk, Chef, viewed favorably.
- Knowledge of open source monitoring tools.
- Broad understanding of IP communications and technologies.
- Knowledge of network stacks, protocols, and monitoring tools
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.