Manager of Operations at SMS Assist
SMS Assist Summary
At SMS Assist, we’re not just in the business of fixing properties—we’re fixing an entire industry. Typically, facilities maintenance is tough work—both in the nature of the job (plumbing, HVAC, snow removal) and the lack of clarity throughout the experience. We decided a better way wasn’t only possible, but essential. Through our award-winning technology platform, built and powered by SMSers, we connect local contractors to our customers and help manage an experience that surpasses expectations.
Recognized on Forbes’ Cloud 100 list, Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, Chicago Crain’s Top Tech Employers, and more, SMS Assist manages more than 186,000 properties where people live and work. Our customers’ livelihoods are in our hands—think a restaurant manager whose only fryer goes down on a busy Friday night or a family in Florida without power after a hurricane. We work across the industries that make up your community, including retail, food service, banking, residential, and more, and we help them find the right provider in our network (we call them Affiliates) in more than 45 trades.
We’re innovators, disruptors, and out-of-the-box thinkers. We set each other up for success in the office and for the perfect spike on the volleyball court during an intramural game. We’re community volunteers, karaoke partners, and lifelong friends. We’re passionate about the people we serve, and we give our all because we care. We want to make every property better, and we want your help to make it happen.
The Manager of Operations provides oversight to multiple operational teams. This position is responsible for the team’s overall performance and for meeting or exceeding assigned operational and financial goals. The role is responsible for maintaining a strategic view of business objectives and a “continuous improvement” mindset that seeks to optimize processes and procedure to enhance business performance.
- Manages multiple operational teams servicing clients of high strategic value to SMS assist in order to deliver results that consistently meet or exceed client expectations in terms of operational and financial performance
- Interacts with the senior management of clients, including through in-person site visits, to continuously demonstrate the value of SMS Assist’s services and expand professional relationships
- Responsible for the positive financial performance of the assigned business portfolio; delivers volume growth through effective service and margin expansion through diligent management of indirect costs while achieving the client’s budget goals
- Assists senior department leadership in developing department strategy, and the techniques and procedures to achieve strategic goals
- Holds Team Leaders accountable for managing the client’s facilities budget within the assigned portfolio to the client’s financial benefit
- Closely monitors the operational and financial performance of all assigned operational teams to identify the root causes of process, approach, and/or program deficiencies; recommends resolutions to increase the client’s operational and financial efficiency
- Enables and motivates teams to proactively develop and implement solutions to complex and challenging client requirements that fall outside of standard procedure and historical precedent
- Develops systems and processes to identify potential issues prior to client escalation and works with Team Leads to ensure they resolve high priority issues; escalates only the most sever issues to senior department leadership, and raises them alongside actionable recommendations for solutions
- Supervises Team Leads to ensure that they are enforcing the highest standards for quality, accuracy, and adherence to SMS Assist policy
- Facilitates the two-way flow of information between operational teams and department leadership by maintaining continuous effective communication, leading meetings, and providing complete and accurate reporting to department leadership
- Supervise and coach reports in preparation and delivery routine and ad hoc communications and qualitative reports to the client that are impactful and of high professional standards
- Assists in the development of and frequently uses analysis tools in our propriety database to identify service trends and implement best practice strategies for both internal and client business processes; uses insights from data to identify opportunities and drive continuous improvement
- Assists department leadership in the development and implementation of data tools to measure, track, and set standards for team performance; enforces adherence to these goals and standards
- Mentors Team Leads to continuously develop their professional knowledge, operational proficiency, and leadership ability to improve performance and prepare them for increasing responsibility
- Uses KPIs and other quantitative indicators as well as judgement and qualitative observation to review and assess the performance of Team Leads; provides informal in-stride counseling and formal feedback at prescribed intervals
- Ensures confidentiality of internal and external data
- Performs ad-hoc projects and other duties as assigned
- Problem Solving - Advanced
- Learning Agility - Advanced
- Verbal Communication- Advanced
- Written Communication - Advanced
- Relationship Management- Advanced
- Prioritization - Advanced
- Customer Service- Proficient
- Team Work - Proficient
Role Specific Skills
- Computer Skills: Advanced proficiencies in: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook required
- Familiarity with Tableau or other data visualization packages a plus
People Management Skills
- Proficient in all people management processes, including recruitment, performance management and reward
- Proficient in building, growing and developing a team; including department structure design and resourcing
- Proficient in coaching and developing individual team members to reach their potential
- Proficient in engaging a team through communication, processes, personal impact and influence
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3-7 years of related, progressive work experience required
- 1-2 years of people management experience required
Other Relevant Qualifications
- Experience in call center or customer service management a plus
- Experience in facilities management, maintenance management, or building engineering, maintenance trades, or related fields a plus
Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, and schedule may change at any time with or without notice.
SMS Assist is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.