Managing Director, Technology M&A at West Monroe (Chicago, IL)
Ready to thrive in the next step on your career journey?
West Monroe has an immediate opportunity for a former strategic technology leader to join our Mergers & Acquisitions practice as a Director specializing in Technology, M&A in the HighTech/Product/SaaS sector. This role will focus on providing technology-centric M&A services and thought leadership to leading private equity investors and operating partners in a due diligence and post-close technology advisory capacity. This technology leader will be responsible for being an expert in evaluating and improving HighTech/Product/SaaS businesses.
Directors within West Monroe have three main responsibilities:
- Lead teams serving the Private Equity industry while demonstrating strategic advisory capabilities with high level client counterparts such as CTOs, CIOs, and Operating Partners
- Interface with all levels of business and technology leadership at clients
- Evaluate and recommend initiatives to improve SaaS organizations, particularly Product Management and R&D / Product Development functions to support Client’s investment theses
- Lead strategy engagements in complex transactions (post-merger integration and carve-out/divestitures) focused on Product Strategy, Target Operating Model development, Cloud, Digital and other value-based initiatives
- Interface and lead strategic conversations with CIO Operating Executives and CTO/CIOs
- Collaborate with team leadership to ensure alignment with culture, define the strategic direction of the M&A team, and actively lead entrepreneurial activities to expand offerings and the skills of the team
- Build data-driven methodologies for evaluating software businesses in a due diligence capacity
- Collaborate with Technology and Security/Infrastructure team leadership to provide consistency across entire software due diligence processes/deliverables
- Coach and manage a team of software architects and consultants in order to elevate the technology advisory capabilities of the M&A team
- Actively participate in the performance management process
- Actively participate in recruiting and retaining top quality consultants
- Initiate and lead business development meetings with prospective clients
- Actively participate in Technology M&A industry events and speak at industry conferences & events
- Understand client investment needs/constraints and help tailor proposals appropriately to meet their needs
- Identify and initiate opportunities to provide post-close technology advisory for middle-market technology businesses; collaborate with practice partners to support these opportunities
- Create work plans, pricing estimates, and risk assessments for prospects
- Attend networking events and actively build and leverage a professional network and affiliate network in the local community
- Minimum of 15-18 years participating in team-based, client-facing business and technology consulting services or CTO/CIO roles
- Must have experience in a CTO, CIO, and/or software product executive role in a SaaS product business
- Experienced in specific technology sub-sectors (e.g. FinTech, Healthcare IT, Marketing Tech, etc.)
- Strong experience in strategic and financial investment planning with a software organization
- Proven leader with extensive ability to build collaborative relationships with team members, foster a productive team environment, and coach staff with timely, meaningful written and verbal feedback
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong communication skills to be able to work with C-level clients Overlaps with one above
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS or equivalent is preferred
- Ability to travel approximately 40%
Ready to get started? Join our team and make an impact.
At West Monroe, our people are our business.
We pride ourselves on bringing a different mindset to consulting—and that takes a different approach: highly collaborative, flexible, and tenacious.
Our people-first culture is core to our identity. It’s something we care about, and something we strive to enrich and preserve. No hierarchies. No siloes. No egos. Just smart ideas, unique perspectives, and the drive to make an impact for our clients.
We also know that the best outcomes for both our people and our clients result from including diverse perspectives at the table. That’s why inclusion & diversity is one of our core values.
Every day our clients rely on us to help them tackle their greatest challenges, by strategically deploying technology through a business-focused and industry-specific lens. We bring together both the right knowledge and the right approach, so that they can capitalize on opportunities and deliver real results. That takes the right team. And that’s where you come in.
West Monroe Partners is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
We believe in treating each employee and applicant for employment fairly and with dignity. We base our employment decisions on merit, experience, and potential, without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state or local law. To learn more about inclusion and diversity at West Monroe, visit www.westmonroe.com/inclusion.
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read West Monroe’s Notice at Collection for California residents, provided pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and linked here.